Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Weighted Gymnastic Movements (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5187)

Jay Guindon 02-27-2010 08:04 AM

Weighted Gymnastic Movements

What role, if any, should weighted gymnastic movements play in a lifting program? Things like weighted pullups, weighted dips, weighted pushups, etc. If they do play a role should be they be done similar to a normal set/rep scheme like 5X5, 5X3, 7X1, etc.?

Steven Low 02-27-2010 09:34 AM

Depends on what your goals are..

And yes, they are structured the same as regular barbell work if you're aiming for strength.

Jay Guindon 02-27-2010 06:15 PM

My fitness goals are health, longevity, maintaining enough fitness to enjoy recreational sport (hockey, snowboard, frisbee, etc.), and I hate to admit it but looking good at the beach plays a small part too.
I'm not interested in performance, competition, pro sport, CF Games, or anything like that anymore.
I used to CrossFit quite a bit for a little over a year but have slowly come to a realization that CrossFit may be a little overkill for my goals, and maybe even counterproductive (i.e excessive cortisol production, Robb Wolf mentioned something about insulin problems as well as CNS stuff with that much intensity all the time, I used to get a lot of minor injuries doing WODs, etc).

Steven Low 02-27-2010 09:22 PM

You'd probably be interested in the primal blueprint stuff then.

Lift heavy a couple times a week, sprint once or twice, and do low intensity stuff the rest of the time.

Brandon Oto 02-27-2010 10:18 PM

Weighted dips were terrific for me but aren't for everyone.

I thought an interesting idea would be loading gymnastics movements with bands. Never got a chance to play with it.

Jay Guindon 02-28-2010 11:58 AM

Question about the cardio stuff in the Primal Blueprint...I was under the impression that lots of cardio was muscle wasting, produced way too much oxidative stress and inflammation, and blunted the immune system?
As far as the original question, for my goals it sounds like weighted gymnastic stuff would be beneficial?

Derek Weaver 02-28-2010 01:36 PM

To the original question. Yes, they will fit fine.

Regarding cardio, I'm pretty sure the primal stuff is low intensity stuff like walks, hiking etc. That won't mess you up at all.

To be honest, I'm suspicious of anyone who blames "chronic cardio" as the absolute evil it's being made out to be. There are plenty of athletes who do more low intensity work to build overall work capacity. Not in the cf sense though.

Garrett Smith 02-28-2010 01:58 PM

I love my 5/3/1 weighted dips and chin-ups.

Jay Guindon 02-28-2010 03:28 PM

Hey Garrett, what's the 5/3/1?

If I don't have time to walk for 5 hours a week do you guys/gals think I could just add a few more short sprint sessions to get the same health benefit? Like maybe 4-5 sprints a week at 2-3minutes?

Steven Low 02-28-2010 04:15 PM

As long as you're moving throughout the day (well if you have a desk job then take the stairs or something) you'll be fine.

Lift heavy + sprints obviously gives the most benefit. You can build in the weighted pullups/dips/etc. into the heavy lifting.

5/3/1 is Wendler's 5/3/1 program