Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Paleo Diet (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   sleep trouble with sub 100 carbs? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5242)

Patrick Poblocki 03-14-2010 05:38 AM

sleep trouble with sub 100 carbs?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the following, and if so, what do you think is going on:

Been following Paleo with a few extra dairy additions: cream mostly. I've tracked my food on Fit Day for the past 5 weeks. I'm averaging 2500 cals per day: 155 g protein, 100 g. carbs, and the rest fat. This has been part of a progression where I've gradually lowered my carb levels. I'm trying to get single digit bodyfat (presently 18% at 5'7", 170lbs, m, 28yrs). Since January, I've gone from 180lbs at 21%bf to my present condition. So, it's working...slowly.

Anyway, although I've felt good in most respects, this weird thing has been happening for the past two weeks (i.e., as soon as I've dropped below 100g carbs): As soon as my head hits the pillow my heart starts racing and the eyes start twitching. I feel like I'm having a "fight or flight" response. I feel really jacked-up. So, I toss and turn for a couple hours before dozing off. My energy throughout the day, though, is fine. I'm humming!

Has this happened to anyone?

I experimented and the last two days I increased my carb load to about 35% of my diet (more Zone-like Paleo I guess) and I've slept well...

Any thoughts? Should I keep it up with the slightly higher carb load and just decrease my overall caloric load?

Thanks,

Patrick

Mike ODonnell 03-14-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki (Post 72659)
Anyway, although I've felt good in most respects, this weird thing has been happening for the past two weeks (i.e., as soon as I've dropped below 100g carbs): As soon as my head hits the pillow my heart starts racing and the eyes start twitching. I feel like I'm having a "fight or flight" response. I feel really jacked-up. So, I toss and turn for a couple hours before dozing off. My energy throughout the day, though, is fine. I'm humming!

I experimented and the last two days I increased my carb load to about 35% of my diet (more Zone-like Paleo I guess) and I've slept well...

I think you answered your own question about whether or not to eat more carbs.....as I would want my sleep.

Why it is happening? Too many hormones and neurotransmitters going on to guess....but listen to your body.

You can get to single digit BF just fine with more carbs, just make sure they are all "real food" (no breads and sugar) and keep calories in check.

Derek Weaver 03-14-2010 12:01 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned on Lyle's forum and elsewhere that carb levels too low can jack with sleep pretty badly (I think natural production of serotonin was the reason).

So, yes. Raise your carbs. Regardless, you'll have to lower total caloric load to get what you want. Eating maintenance calories with low carbs alone won't do it.

Patrick Poblocki 03-14-2010 01:38 PM

Thanks! Well, I just woke up from a nap, so I think it's working... :) Looks like I'll keep a watch on my overall calorie load, but eat a few more carbs, too.

Derek Weaver 03-14-2010 02:09 PM

Just remember, that no matter what Taubes said in his book, calories do in fact matter.

There are definitely hormones that are at play in regards to body composition, but without a caloric deficit, you will not lose fat.

There are some tricks you can play with as you get leaner, but you're a fair distance out from that.

Darryl Shaw 03-15-2010 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki (Post 72659)
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the following, and if so, what do you think is going on:

Been following Paleo with a few extra dairy additions: cream mostly. I've tracked my food on Fit Day for the past 5 weeks. I'm averaging 2500 cals per day: 155 g protein, 100 g. carbs, and the rest fat. This has been part of a progression where I've gradually lowered my carb levels. I'm trying to get single digit bodyfat (presently 18% at 5'7", 170lbs, m, 28yrs). Since January, I've gone from 180lbs at 21%bf to my present condition. So, it's working...slowly.

Has this happened to anyone?

Any thoughts? Should I keep it up with the slightly higher carb load and just decrease my overall caloric load?

Thanks,

Patrick

Hunger, and your body will perceive depleted glycogen stores as physiological hunger, triggers increased alertness and physical activity.

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...62&postcount=1

Patrick Poblocki 03-18-2010 04:27 AM

Thanks! After about a week of eating more carbs (about 100 - 125) from veggies/fruits, I feel much better and am sleeping well. And, I'm still able to get to my desired caloric deficit.

Chris Butler 05-12-2010 01:55 AM

It's 2:50 a.m. and I'm up eating grapes. :confused: I've been eating 100% Paleo for 1 yr. and from time to time I get a bout of insomnia from too few carbs. Glad I found this thread :cool: . This is now my 3rd. night in a row of insomnia. :(

Haven't had this problem all winter but I just returned to weighlifting from a 3 month lay off for the height of ski season. I backcountry splitboard as a job of sorts.