Late night workout & postworkout carbs
I've been troubled by this issue for a long time. I'm a 26 year old male, weight 185 pounds, height 6 foot 1. I estimate my bodyfat-% to be somewhere between 10-15 %.
I play football (gridiron) in a non-professional but competitive league. Our season begins in May (--> August), and I've been trying once again to get myself to the best possible shape and condition. I've shed about 10 pounds bodyfat this offseason, and I'm currently doing sprint workouts (about 60 minutes) twice a week, plyometrics once, and lifting three times a week. Sometimes I do speed work early in the morning and then go lift somewhere around 5 or 6 pm.
Currently we have football practice once a week, and the time is terrible, from 9 pm to 10.30 pm. I tend to keep quite good track of what i eat (proteins/carbs/fats), and some of my basic principles are
-500-600 cal breakfasts with 80-90 grams carbs
- rest days carbs around 1,5-1,8 grams / BW#
- lift days carbs around 2,2 - 2,4 grams / BW. If i do two workouts a day, say speed and lifting, i might go around 2,6 - 2,8 grams carbs / BW#.
- Proteins are 1 gram / BW# and fats are 0,35 - 0,45 grams / BW#. This way i get to a 25 % PROT / 55 % CARB / 20 % solution, with around 3000-3100 calories on workout days and 2600-2700 calories on days of total rest.
- On rest days, I usually eat starchy carbs on breakfast and lunch (maybe on snacks). But dinner and snack before bed are more carb-concious, veggies + lean meat for dinner and berries or small fruits at the most with some yoghurt, cottage cheese some other lean meat and natural peanut butter or nuts before bed.
- I drink a preworkout and postworkout shake, both about 15 grams protein 30 grams carbs and eat a meal with 120-140 grams carbs within an hour of lifting or speed workout.
SO. The question that bothers me is the late night practice and nutrion after that. RIght now it is a problem for one day of the week, put pretty soon we'll go in to 3 practices a week (luckily they are a little earlier from 7 pm to 9 pm). I'm not trying to cut or bulk right now, just tryin to keep my weight steady and maybe gettin my stregth up some before the season gets here. Currently I'm eating a medium sized meal about 2 - 3 hours before practice, say with 80-100 grams of carbs (from food like whole wheat pasta or bread and fruit). Even though the practice isn't full contact right now, it is still pretty hard with a lot of technique and speed work and usually 30-45 minutes of scrimmage with game-like or little longer rest periods. The intensity is propably not quite something like college or high school practice (I live in Finland, where there's no football teams at schools), but its not something like touch football either.
When i get back home from practice, I'm usually pretty hungry, and a cup of cottage cheese and tbsp of PB just doesnt cut it. I tend to eat about 30 grams of protein, 60-80 grams of carbs and 15-20 grams of fat on this meal and drink about at least quart of water (bathroom trips at night for sure). I go to bed within an hour of this, and I'm sort of worried, since late-night carbs are usually a strict no-no on fitness etc. forums.
What your take? Should I load more carbs pre-practice and have low carb postworkout meal or stick to the "plan" above?
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:46 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.