Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is a pronated back lever really worth much? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5308)

Grissim Connery 04-03-2010 05:53 PM

Is a pronated back lever really worth much?

I've had a full back lever with pronated grip for a while now (normal pronated relative to your body, not to the actual floor). Although it's kinda cool just to do it, it doesn't really feel transferable to other ring skills. I stopped working on supinated grip back levers when my shoulders were really bad cause if the elbows relaxed at all, all the pressure drove into the shoulders. Now that I'm coming back to them, they seem much more applicable towards building strength in desirable areas. For example, the elbow pressure feels much more like the pressure felt during cross work (the shoulder pressure is not nearly the same though, so I wouldn't replace one with the other).

I guess i see the back lever as the upper body equivalent to the SLDL, but if you take a prontated grip, then your biceps rotate out of a lot of tension. thus the traps and shoulder take more of a load. it'd be like doing an SLDL but pointing your feet straight out sideways like in ballet.

A good example seems like the forward roll. When dropping out of support, a strong, supinated back lever appears to help reset for another pull, whereas a pronated back lever just causes you to awkwardly whip around quickly.

the other factor is ring accessibility or not. i hate doing supinated grip straight bar work. everything feels a little uncomfortable in this state.

i guess my question is when should one switch from pronated work to supinated work? since i already have a full pronated back lever, i'll just mosey on over to the other guy. if i'm helping somebody in the future, i'd be afraid to start them on the supinated right away for fear of excess joint pressure.

Steven Low 04-03-2010 09:56 PM

If you're interested in obtaining upper level rings strength you should learn it supinated. The transference to rings handstands, iron cross, floor/parallette/rings planche, maltese, and inverted cross is very applicable -- the strength needs to be developed to help protect the elbows later on.

If it's too much on the elbows/shoulders right away do some work with german hangs.

If you don't care about anything beyond back lever and front lever then I would just leave it as is...

Blair Lowe 04-06-2010 03:13 AM

One of the issues I could foresee with working the BL on a bar is you won't be able to get your lats and triceps connected. This would make the BL more difficult.

You just have to scale the supinated BL back down from the pronated BL. So if you were doing it a straight body pronated, you might have to go back to doing it in a tuck and so on just to let the elbows get used to it.

I think after you can do the BL straight, it may be a good time to take the triceps off the lats. You could train it that way from the getgo but I don't think any of my little guys would understand how to do it.

Troy Kerr 04-06-2010 11:16 AM

I agree with Blair. I used the supinated grip during my workout last night on a pullup bar and felt a HUGE difference. I instead of working straight body I had to move back to an adv. tuck.