Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New to this site..critique my IF please! (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5430)

lindsay grant 05-13-2010 08:27 AM

New to this site..critique my IF please!

Hey Everyone

I just started the leangains approach yesterday..this is day 2 for me. I was reading on the leangains site and found this site and figured it could be very helpful. I have been eating paleo since January and have been Crossfitting since September...I do have my weekends where I go unpaleo though..I actually started paleo in October but got serious with it in January. Since starting both crossfit and paleo I have lost 18lbs and my body fat went from 34% to 24%. That is HUGE. However, I am wanting to get to at least 18% body fat ..maybe even lower.
Current Stats: Age 25 Height: 5'6, Weight 138, Crossfit 4-6 times per week

Yesterday was my first day trying leangains and here is what I ate:
B: IF
Broke fast (16.5 hours) at 12:30 with 6oz salmon, 4oz avocado, 1 cup cucumbers
3:00: serving of almonds and some tea, also chewed on some gum
6:30: WOD
7:30: Post WOD shake...1 scoop casein protein, 1/2 cup light coconut milk
8:00: Dinner of 4 eggs cooked in 3T raw butter, 3oz steak, 2 slices turkey bacon
Ended window by 8:30 when I was done with dinner

Today I didn't really feel hungry this morning so I am hoping it continues throughout the morning again. Today's plan is:

B:IF..just some green tea..no sweeteners
L: 10oz pulled pork with 8oz avocado (12:30)
S: serving of almonds and walnuts, coffee with 2T heavy cream(somewhere between 3 and 5 probably)
WOD: Hopefully 5:30 but maybe 6:30 depending on work
PostWOD: within 30 minutes of workout: 1 scoop casein protein with 1/2 cup coconut milk
D: About 20-30 minutes after shake: 10oz steak and cucumber/onion salad
So, my totals for today will be: 1,899 calories, 122.9g fat, 32.8g carbs, 173.6g protein
My percentages are 57/6/37% fats/carbs/protein

I feel like I have so many questions but mainly, is this too much food in one sitting for a female? Too much fat/protein? My carbs are low..28g yesterday, 32g today

Any advice would be extremely helpful!! I have gone through the threads but wanted to get some advice on my personal plan!

Thanks Everyone!

Allen Yeh 05-13-2010 08:56 AM

Looks very well thought you and congrats on your gains(or losses) thus far. I recall with the Leangains that Martin recommended that women keep their fasts at 14 hours and men at 16 hours?

lindsay grant 05-13-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Yeh (Post 75722)
Looks very well thought you and congrats on your gains(or losses) thus far. I recall with the Leangains that Martin recommended that women keep their fasts at 14 hours and men at 16 hours?

Thanks! I am hoping this approach can help bust through this plateau..I did read that...so I guess another question I would have, would be what is good to break the fast? I have my lunch but don't want to eat that at 10:30, although I guess I could..maybe cut it in half and eat half at 10:30 and the other half at 1? Or I could always just do a coffee with cream but is that a good thing to break a fast with? I am mostly thinking and typing out loud but am just so curious with this stuff!

Allen Yeh 05-13-2010 10:07 AM

]I'll be honest and say i haven't looked over his site top to bottom but a brief look:

Quote:

• On workout days, break the fast with meat, veggies and a fruit. If you’re planning to train shortly after this meal, add a few carbs in the form of a starch source – potatoes or whole grain bread, for example. Make it a medium sized meal and don’t stuff yourself. Train within 3 hrs of having eaten this meal and have a much larger meal after your workout; in this meal, add more complex carbs – and you may even have one of your favourite treats as dessert, if it’s not too high in fat and if eaten in moderation. Good examples of what I refer to as ‘treats’: low fat ice cream, sorbet or JC’s cheesecake. Bad example: Chinese buffet or your son’s birthday cake. You get the point, keep it within moderation and don’t pig out.
• On rest days, eat less calories than on workout days - do this by cutting down on carb intake, and make meat, fibrous veggies and fruit the foundation of your diet for this day. The first meal of the day should be the largest, in contrast to workout days where the post-workout meal is the largest. Largest doesn’t necessarily mean largest in terms of volume; I suggest getting at least 40% of your calorie intake in this meal, and the dominant macronutrient should be protein. I’ll have some clients eating upwards to 100 g protein in this meal, so don’t be afraid to pile on the meat (or whichever protein source you prefer). Fattier meat and fish like ground beef and salmon are examples of some excellent protein sources that may be consumed on rest days.
http://leangains.blogspot.com/2010/0...-training.html
Quote:

5. I am not a fan of "metabolic" workouts or glycogen-depletion as a means to fat loss. It's inferior to regular weight-training and not a time-efficient way to increase calorie expenditure. It also tends to increase the perceived challenge of the diet; lactate-inducing workouts can be gruesome. My goal is always to make the diet as painless and easy as possible. Painful workouts are never part of the plan.

6. During fat loss, no one needs to weight-train more than 3x/week. Muscle groups don't need higher frequency than 1x/week if intensity is high. Find more productive things to do with your time. Most people screw themselves over by being in the gym too much and too often. Less is more and this is especially true on a diet.
Supplements that I already take or would conisder taking:
http://leangains.blogspot.com/2010/0...y-find_09.html

Gant Grimes 05-18-2010 10:20 PM

Here is some advice that you'll ignore now but look back on in a year and say, "dang, I wish I'd listened back then."

Paleo and IF are concepts that should simply your life, yet you're complicating the hell out of it. Quit weighing, measuring, cutting things in half, counting stuff, and recording times. Eat a sensible supper and don't eat again for awhile. Then when you do eat, make it mostly good stuff--lots of it--and train in a reasonable manner.

My biggest takeaways from IF when I did it (knowledge courtesy of MOD at the time) were
1) intermittent fasts should be intermittent
2) don't eat crap.

It's really that simple.

Craig Brown 05-19-2010 09:03 AM

Gant, you really need to stop talking sense. It's painful to watch.

Craig

Mike ODonnell 05-19-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gant Grimes (Post 76001)
Here is some advice that you'll ignore now but look back on in a year and say, "dang, I wish I'd listened back then."

Paleo and IF are concepts that should simply your life, yet you're complicating the hell out of it. Quit weighing, measuring, cutting things in half, counting stuff, and recording times. Eat a sensible supper and don't eat again for awhile. Then when you do eat, make it mostly good stuff--lots of it--and train in a reasonable manner.

My biggest takeaways from IF when I did it (knowledge courtesy of MOD at the time) were
1) intermittent fasts should be intermittent
2) don't eat crap.

It's really that simple.

Well said grasshopper.

Like anything....most of us have to learn the hard way on what not to do, inorder to appreciate the simple answers on what to do....and most require not going overboard with anything in life whether fasting, working out, or eating. More is not always better.....smarter is.

Trying to use IF + working out 4-5x/wk + calorie counting = crash and burn

IF + 2-3 workouts/wk + eating mostly real foods = me doing other things in life too

Kevin Perry 05-19-2010 10:06 AM

You don't have to fast all the time either. If you feel like one day eating throughout the day and taking it easy go for it, your body will probably thank you.