Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Belly Fat and Metabolism (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5446)

john smith 05-20-2010 06:51 AM

Belly Fat and Metabolism

I am in the army and completed Ranger school a little over a year ago. Prior to Ranger I never weighed more than 155# and always had single digit bodyfat. During the course I lost probably close to 20# but within a few weeks of graduating I had put it all back on plus about 15# (metabolism slowed down quite a bit). Now a year later I have been able to get back in shape just fine with a fitness regime based around metabolic conditioning, however, my body composition seems like it will never be what it used to be. I eat 90% paleo and only around 2200-2500 calories a day (im 25yrs old, 69" tall). The majority of the fat seems to be around my lower abdomen. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, how can I get rid of this extra weight?

Chris Butler 05-20-2010 07:48 AM

First, Thanks for your service and congratulations on finishing Ranger school.

With all do respect, getting rid of belly fat is healthful way beyond aesthetics.
As you may know spot reduction isn't possible. You have lean out all over.

What are your macro ratios?
Bodyfat %? Height?
What are, generally, your 10% non-Paleo food choices?

john smith 05-20-2010 09:04 PM

Chris,

On average I take in ~170 g Protein, ~80 g Carb, 160 g Fat

My non-paleo food choices are organic protein bars, bread, and cheese on occasion.

Im 5'9" 167lb. Not sure of my body fat, Id guess around 11%. Im currently deployed and dont know a good way to measure it. I understand what you mean about spot reduction being impossible, I feel like ive lost fat in other places, I guess the belly is just the last to go..

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Donald Lee 05-20-2010 09:14 PM

Read "Stubborn Fat Solution" by Lyle McDonald.

Spot reduction is not possible, but lower abdomen area is a stubborn fat area for males that can take some special work. "Stubborn Fat Solution" doesn't go into diet, but it covers the physiology behind fat loss and stubborn fat loss in general. It goes over the cardio and supplementation protocols to get rid of stubborn fat.

You may also benefit from learning how to implement refeeds. There should be plenty of info on his site about that. He has written a lot of articles.

Kevin Perry 05-20-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Lee (Post 76092)
Read "Stubborn Fat Solution" by Lyle McDonald.

Spot reduction is not possible, but lower abdomen area is a stubborn fat area for males that can take some special work. "Stubborn Fat Solution" doesn't go into diet, but it covers the physiology behind fat loss and stubborn fat loss in general. It goes over the cardio and supplementation protocols to get rid of stubborn fat.

You may also benefit from learning how to implement refeeds. There should be plenty of info on his site about that. He has written a lot of articles.

+1 im waiting on his UD 2.0 book which covers similar things on getting lean. Lyle's site has some good information

Arien Malec 05-20-2010 10:10 PM

UD2.0 or 70's Big.

Blue pill or red pill...

Kevin Perry 05-21-2010 06:15 AM

hey nothing wrong with a little variation in ones training evolution

Mike ODonnell 05-21-2010 09:37 AM

Stubborn fat is.....well stubborn, and usually last to go. There are wonderful things such as hormones, blood flow and receptor issues to worry about.

I've found IF a couple times a week very helpful in reducing stubborn fat when all else is dialed in around (workouts, eating patterns, etc). Many different roads to getting rid of the belly fat (I'm assuming you are talking more about lower and "love handles" areas).

The key is doing it without going too crazy diet/exercise wise so you can maintain it....otherwise you just rebound back to where you were before.

Wayne Riddle 05-22-2010 04:20 AM

Speaking of belly fat:

Belly fat linked to dementia, study shows

john smith 05-22-2010 05:54 AM

thanks everyone for the replies. i read some more of Lyle's stuff and i think i just need to be more patient and consistently get enough rest at night. the fat is coming off little by little, its gonna take me a while to get back to my previous body comp after confusing the shit out of my body during that course..