Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ross Enamait's books (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545)

Mike ODonnell 02-20-2007 05:37 PM

Ross Enamait's books

I like Ross' stuff on his site and was looking to get one of his books....wanted to get feedback first on his Never Gymless and Infinite Intensity.

1) Which one is newer
2) Are they worth getting or if you look on CF and here are you getting all the same information repackaged?
3) If getting only 1...which one and why?

Steve Shafley 02-20-2007 05:43 PM

Never Gymless is the latest.

They're more purposely put together than XF.

R. Alan Hester 02-20-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 5065)
I like Ross' stuff on his site and was looking to get one of his books....wanted to get feedback first on his Never Gymless and Infinite Intensity.

1) Which one is newer
2) Are they worth getting or if you look on CF and here are you getting all the same information repackaged?
3) If getting only 1...which one and why?

1) As Steve said, Never Gymless is newer;
2) Again, as Steve said, it is more structured than CF, but a good many of the workouts remain in the same vein as CF with regard to mixed modalities. I do like that all of his stuff in II uses dumbbells. If you have a sound understanding of programming and nutrition, it might be prudent to save your money.
3) I have both, but II would be the best. Never Gymless uses some of the same principles with regard to programming, but one uses bands and bodyweight exercise instead of weights.

In short, go with II if you think you need more ideas. Also, Robb reviewed the two books in Aug 06 edition of PM.

Alan

Dave Van Skike 02-21-2007 08:59 AM

Great for fight sports

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Shafley (Post 5066)
Never Gymless is the latest.

They're more purposely put together than XF.

Not sure about Never Gymless, although if it includes instruction on building all the weird torture rigs he has in his basement it's worth it. Infinite Intensity is really targeted at fighters. As Steve says, more intentional than CF. It looks like periodized program for a pre-season wrestling team. It's soret of random but there is a clear purpose.

His writing is like very accessible (similar to Pavel) in that he takes pretty high concept stuff and makes it digestible. That said, the books will be a rehash of a lot of what you know. Comes across as a stand up guy in his writing, correspondence and web forum. He gets great press from his web site and videos because he is a very well conditioned athlete. No posing, no smugness, so "spec ops" BS. What you see is what you get.

His complexes and overall philosophy seem alot more sophisticated than the other readily accessible S&C programs (emphasis on C) out there. There is no "black box," no "WTH" effect. Ross tells you exactly why a workout is prescribed and how to maximize that workout's effectiveness.

Yael Grauer 02-21-2007 10:03 AM

I like that they help you learn how to write your own programs based on what your goals are. Also, Ross rocks.

Steve Shafley 02-21-2007 11:08 AM

Yes. Ross Enamait is the real deal, for sure. I've liked his stuff ever since I picked up the "Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness" on a whim.

Robb Wolf 02-21-2007 11:23 AM

Mike-
Both books are easily worth the price IMO...you may be familiar with most of the material due to your background but, like others have mentioned, he has a solid no BS approach to training. Very combat athlete oriented but I think good for any serious coach/athlete. I really like the programming and explanations for prioritization in infinite intensity...Ross explains the trade-offs inherent in training in a sharp, concise manner. Good Shite.

Plus they look freaking burly on the bookshelf!

kevin mckay 02-23-2007 11:50 AM

Hey, I am looking for more bodyweight only stuff is Never Gymless the best way to go or is there any better out there? I am sick of waiting for Christopher Sommer to finish his book.

Jesse Woody 02-23-2007 01:09 PM

Never Gymless is better along those lines, though Infinite Intensity has a large number of bodyweight exercises included also. They're both amazing books and Ross is a really cool and helpful guy.

You might also check out Bodyweight Culture for some more ideas. It's a very awkward site to navigate and is perhaps one of the least attractive uses of a joomla template that I've seen, but there can be some cool stuff on there.

Ron Nelson 02-23-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin mckay (Post 5300)
Hey, I am looking for more bodyweight only stuff is Never Gymless the best way to go or is there any better out there? I am sick of waiting for Christopher Sommer to finish his book.

I heard he's waiting for De Vany to finish his first.