Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Wrist Support (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5473)

Troy Kerr 05-31-2010 10:22 AM

Wrist Support
 
Having minor aches in my wrist from time to time following training, have slacked on the wrist push-ups lately, im sure that is contributing to the pain somehow. Most of the pain is on the lateral side of my wrist.

I am looking for effective strategies to aid in alleviating my wrist pain. Will consistent wrist push-ups and ice help? I have looked into gymnastic wrist supports and came across the tiger paw, but honestly that seems a little extreme for one who is only working basic progressions 3 days a week. Is their a wrapping technique that could be done with simple athletic tape?

The pain is nothing major. Just a little irritation from time to time.

Steven Low 05-31-2010 02:07 PM

Strengthen up the wrists and it goes away...

In the meantime if you don't supposed yourself on top in neutral wrist position you should consider doing that as a work around for now.

Grissim Connery 05-31-2010 06:51 PM

i've recently started doing reverse curls (pronated curls or whatever) between rounds of handstand work. these make my hands feel much more fluid and potent when i do subsequent handstand work.

Troy Kerr 05-31-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 76655)
Strengthen up the wrists and it goes away...

In the meantime if you don't supposed yourself on top in neutral wrist position you should consider doing that as a work around for now.

Say what?

Troy Kerr 05-31-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grissim Connery (Post 76664)
i've recently started doing reverse curls (pronated curls or whatever) between rounds of handstand work. these make my hands feel much more fluid and potent when i do subsequent handstand work.

Yeah I have started adding curls after my back-lever work and does the same for my elbow.

Grissim Connery 06-01-2010 01:06 AM

well i think trying them pronated is worth a shot since it stresses the wrist extensors more.

Steven Low 06-01-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grissim Connery (Post 76674)
well i think trying them pronated is worth a shot since it stresses the wrist extensors more.

Yeah, if you're going to do curls then do them pronated for the extensors.

I personally like rice bucket's effectiveness.

Chris Butler 06-01-2010 06:56 AM

Radial-ulnar deviation exercises
http://sport.i-mix.info/wrist-exerci...-with-a-board/

Patrick Donnelly 06-01-2010 01:47 PM

These have helped me:
* contrast baths, a few times a week
* sweatbands for the wrists, just for extra warmth
* thoroughly SMR'ing the neck, biceps, forearm, and hands with a golf ball

As far as rehab exercises go, I like the forearm roller, while holding the weight out in front of you. Do it both "forwards" and "backwards" and don't skimp on the eccentric. A 5lb plate ought to be plenty.

I felt like the rice bag did more harm than good for me. It's too easy to overdo it (either in duration or depth/"resistance"), I think.

Brandon Oto 06-01-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly (Post 76689)
Do it both "forwards" and "backwards" and don't skimp on the eccentric. A 5lb plate ought to be plenty.

Whoops. I was doing 130lb last week. Guess I kinda came at that the wrong way.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.