Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mass Gainers (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558)

Elliot Royce 02-22-2007 02:20 PM

Mass Gainers

What's the consensus (if such a thing is possible) on the high calorie mass gainer shakes? There's one made by Vitol which is 5000 calories including the gallon of milk you mix it in. I'm not sure I want to take in 5000 calories in that form but would it be ok to get 3000 calories in liquid form, leaving the rest for a normal solid food diet?

I know people will say drink oils but it's pretty gross. And I'm a bit tired of stuffing myself all day.

Mark Madonna 02-22-2007 03:08 PM

Half gallon of heavy whipping cream is 6500 calories, it is at Costco and I forgot the cost, if you are just going for calories and don't mind the non-paleo thing I only do it once in a while because of the non-paleo thing. Eating mainly 1-2 hours before bed keeps the weight on, and eating lots of carbohydrates before bed whether it is beer, fruit, or sweet potatos.

About the shakes, a post workout shake always made me hungry about 1-2 hours after I ate it. My shakes used to be 2 cups protein powder from TJ's, peanut butter, juice, frozen berries until almost solid.

Now if I do Post workoutt nutrition I eat a meal (1/2lb meat or fish; 1 starchy carb sweet potato, bananas, fruit; 1 small amount of fat, avocado or nuts

Robb Wolf 02-22-2007 04:32 PM

Nothing magical about most these things...jsut concentrated food. If you have a trader joes nearby you can hit the macadameia/cashew butter. I can kill a can of that in a sitting and you get aobut 2.5k.

Mike ODonnell 02-22-2007 04:35 PM

as I am eating chicken while dipping it with almond butter.....Mmmmmmmmmmm

Tony Ferous 02-23-2007 12:28 AM

What are the effects of a huge fat content meal? I must have eaten 100+ grams of fat from macadamia nuts following a normal protein/veg meal.
Any upper limits, to just what you are comfortable with?

Chris Forbis 02-25-2007 02:27 PM

I routinely hit around 150g of fat in meals. No ill effects from it...

Elliot Royce 02-25-2007 06:48 PM

Since we're talking about gaining mass, I'm interested in what is seen as the optimal amount of mass gain over a given period of time. I mean, clearly one can just eat everything in sight and become large and fat. But that doesn't seem very healthy.

I've been trying to keep my calorie excess around 500 per day and have gradually been putting on some weight. I would say that I've added a little less than an inch around the waist (from 36" to 37") and around 10lbs of body weight. I feel like my shoulders and legs have gotten more muscular (O lifting certainly works magic there). My front squat has gone from 45lbs to 195lbs, and my power clean from 40kg to 90kg (although I'm sure technique has a lot to do with that). Do I just keep on eating or is there some point where it's no longer a good tradeoff?