Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   IF for Performance? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5696)

john smith 09-01-2010 02:51 PM

IF for Performance?

I have been IFing via the leangains approach for the past few weeks while doing strength 3-4x and metcons 4-5x a week and have had improvements in body composition but a slight decrease in performance particularly in the strength department. I realize Martins approach is geared more towards improving body composition. If my primary goal is just increased performance should I just ditch the IF altogether? I feel great fasting and usually do my workouts fasted after taking 10g BCAAs. Is this perhaps not enough fuel for strength + metcons? Thanks.

John Alston 09-01-2010 03:31 PM

What's your goal? I have realized some strength nice gains doing much the same approach lately (before my broken ankle) but I don't bother with metcons.
Prioritize. Increased performance in what?

Derek Weaver 09-01-2010 05:04 PM

What does your overall workout schedule look like?

First idea with little information is that you're not eating enough to maintain the activity you're doing.

Leangains isn't just a fat loss protocol. That's how most people apply his methods, but it's in the name.... leangains.

john smith 09-02-2010 08:14 PM

Thanks for the replies.

John, my overall goal is to make strength gains without losing my anaerobic conditioning.

Derek, my workout schedule is basically Crossfit Football but sometimes I have short workouts in the early morning (fairly low to moderate intensity army pt). Recently ive been taking ~10g BCAAs and doing my workouts around 12-1pm then breaking the fast immediately afterward and eating until 8-9pm. Im almost positive im taking in 2500+ calories a day (i only weigh 158) which should be enough to maintain my weight but i guess i should try counting my calories for a few days to make sure.

Derek Weaver 09-03-2010 05:53 PM

When was the last time you backed off from the CF Football? Or actually, the last time you took a deload from everything? you don't have much choice over the Army PT, but everything else you do.

I'd do a couple of things. Eat more would be one. The other would be to look and see the last time you either took a weak at ~1/2 intensity for CF FB, or a week off altogether. If it's been any longer than 4 weeks, I would take a down week on the lifting, and skip the metabolic stuff completely.

158 lbs... and what height?

Darren Reed 09-05-2010 10:10 PM

Bingo

Derek has nailed it in my opinion. Rest is needed. I have been experminenting with IF ala leangains for a few weeks, performance has increased and weight has gone down. I think the difference here is I take a deload week every month and am careful not to overdose on metcon.