Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   KBs & 5-3-1 (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5815)

James Evans 10-26-2010 05:09 AM

KBs & 5-3-1

A little article from Mike Mahler on combining strength and kb work:

http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/fitnesstips1.html

Jarod Barker 10-26-2010 08:32 AM

Good stuff, very cool. I like the way he's using it for warm up.

Jay Cohen 10-26-2010 09:24 AM

Nice, thanks for posting.

Michael Melillo 09-12-2011 01:56 PM

And also thanks for posting this, I'm going to start using it for my work with 5/3/1

James Evans 09-29-2011 04:34 AM

I'd be interested to know how you (or indeed anyone else) gets on.

Linus Hector 11-27-2011 11:23 PM

The link is broken, can someone write down the program or have a nonbroken link

James Evans 11-28-2011 08:10 AM

It worked a year ago (+) when I posted that.

Quote:

Q: I have been training with kettlebells exclusively for a while and would like to get back into barbell training for maximum strength. However, I want to keep some KB work in my routine. How would you recommend I combine barbell training with kettlebell training?

I think Jim Wendler’s 5-3-1 program is just the ticket for your goals. In the 5-3-1 program you will be focusing on four compound barbell exercises: Military Press, Bench Press, Squat, and Deadlift. You will do each exercise one time per week. A sample breakdown is:

Monday: Deadlift

Tuesday: Military Press

Thursday: Squat

Friday: Bench Press

Determine what 90% of your one rep max is for each exercise, as you will be using a percentage of it at each workout as follows:

Week 1: 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5+

Week 2: 70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x3+

Week 3: 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1+

Week 4: 40%x5, 50%x5, 60%x5

On the last set of each workout do as many reps as you can with good form. No forced reps, negatives, etc. Week four is a back off week. After completing the back off week take your 90% of 1 rep max number and add 10lbs for lower body exercises and 5lbs for upper body exercises and stat over for another four weeks. Use the new number to calculate what weights you will use at each workout.

This takes care of the barbell training off your workout. Use kettlebells for midsection work, assistance work, and conditioning training. Here is an example of how you could add kettlebell training to the 5-3-1 program:

Monday:

Start each workout with kettlebell ballistic work to fire up the central nervous system.

Double KB Swing 3x5 (one minute breaks)

Barbell Deadlift (5-3-1 style)

Five rounds of:

One-legged KB Deadlift 1x8 each side

Alternating KB Renegade Row 1x8 each side

Hand to hand KB swing 1x15 each side

Take short breaks in between each exercise and round and do one exercise after the other until you have completed all three sets.

Tuesday

One-arm KB Snatch 3x6 each side and one-minute breaks. Use a heavy weight that you can handle for a hard set of twelve.

Military Press (5-3-1 style)

Five rounds of:

Double KB jerks 1x10 each side

Turkish Get-up 1x5 each side

One-arm KB Snatch 1x10 each side

Take short breaks in between each exercise and round and do one exercise after the other until you have completed all three sets.

Thursday

Double KB Clean 3x5

Barbell Squat (5-3-1) style

Five rounds of:

Walking KB Lunges 1x8 each side

Double KB Bent Over Row 1x10

Double KB Jump Squats 1x10

Friday

One-arm KB Snatch 3x6 each side and one-minute breaks

Bench Press (5-3-1) style

Five rounds of:

Double KB Clean and Push Press 1x10

One-arm KB Windmill 1x8 each side

Hand to hand KB Swing 1x15 each side

And no, I didn't write that out especially.

Linus Hector 11-28-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Evans (Post 94317)
It worked a year ago (+) when I posted that.

And no, I didn't write that out especially.

Thanks