Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Endurance (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Running Technique (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5872)

Jarod Barker 11-15-2010 07:46 AM

Running Technique

I know most of the technique discussions on here are about weightlifting, but I was hoping maybe someone could help me with running.

I know the popular running "techniques" are things like POSE, Chi, and barefoot running. I've been to the CF running and endurance cert, I still can't run POSE. I've read the books and watched the videos, I still can't run POSE, I switched to barefoot, and I still can't do it.

I even tried to contact every POSE coach listed in my area, absolutely none of the emailed me back....

Even barefoot, I still heel strike, and I still spend more time on the ground than I do in the air.

I found this thread on the forum:
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...highlight=pose

But I'm not completely sold on the idea that POSE is the best method for improving running form.

I want to learn to run correctly and avoid stress fractures and other overuse injuries. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf here and do things right instead of just forcing my way through injuries and bad form. If anyone could give me some guidance, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Andrew Wilson 11-15-2010 08:56 AM

Yeah man have you looked into ABC drills?

Shane Skowron 11-15-2010 10:08 AM

I've come to think that a moderate heel strike is okay under some circumstances, although it should still be avoided. I think the most important thing to avoid is landing with your foot out in front of you. Keep your foot directly underneath your pelvis when you land, and you'll reduce the chance of injury by a lot.

Jarod Barker 11-15-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson (Post 83037)
Yeah man have you looked into ABC drills?

Like the high knees, the cariocas, etc. Yeah, I learned those at the running and endurance cert, and I practice those with the POSE drills. I practiced it way more than they even told us to. I think my form actually got worse.... :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Skowron (Post 83038)
I've come to think that a moderate heel strike is okay under some circumstances, although it should still be avoided. I think the most important thing to avoid is landing with your foot out in front of you. Keep your foot directly underneath your pelvis when you land, and you'll reduce the chance of injury by a lot.

This is a huge error I always make and I just can't seem to correct it. I can keep my feet under me going very slow, but as soon I go to speed up, my leg starts reaching out in front of me, I start heel striking, and then I push off out the back fully extending my leg. I can't even "feel" it. I feel like I'm running with my feet under me, but then as soon as I look at a video, I can see that I'm anything but under me. Is there a good drill or method to practice this? I've tried running uphill, but I think it actually made me step out even further.

Steven Low 11-15-2010 11:23 AM

Barefoot keys:

1. relax
2. silently
3. start slower and stay slower with more frequency short strides until you can move up

Jarod Barker 11-15-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 83044)
Barefoot keys:

1. relax
2. silently
3. start slower and stay slower with more frequency short strides until you can move up

That's exactly what I try to do, maybe I just need more time at a slow pace to get comfortable with the higher cycle rate. I am loud as hell though, I certainly won't be sneaking up on anyone with my feet slapping the ground.

Steven Low 11-15-2010 04:12 PM

If you're not running silent then you need to alter your mechanics or you're going too fast.

Anything you do to make it more silent in general is beneficial.

If you still heel toe then start doing it on a harder surface. that will make you change reallllllllllllll fast.

Jarod Barker 11-16-2010 08:08 AM

Yeah, I'm trying really hard to change my mechanics, I just don't know enough about coaching running form, and as always it's tricky to try to self coach. I will try to focus more on running silent.

Just a weird observation, I don't know if this "causes" my crappy form, but my low back gets very tight when I run, to the point where it's actually a bit painful. I would assume this is probably tight quads. Would stretching my quads out more correct my running at all or is it just going to make me step that much further out in front?

I also read that running stairs can help to shorten your stride.

Steven Low 11-16-2010 10:09 AM

Lack of hip extensor involvement.

Do more specific glute work, stretch those quads

Jarod Barker 11-16-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 83086)
Lack of hip extensor involvement.

Do more specific glute work, stretch those quads

What glute work would you recommend for running? I don't have a GHD, so I pretty much stick to good mornings, romanian deadlifts, sled drags, and lunges.

I'll keep working the quad stretching. I do the couch stretch everyday, but I make precious little progress.