Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Endurance (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Running Shoes - Should I Switch it Up? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6043)

daniel lyell 02-04-2011 04:48 AM

Running Shoes - Should I Switch it Up?

Recently I switched up my routine from CFE to a more traditional running program which Andrew Wilson pointed out to me. I've been ramping up the mileage slowly, but even still I have acquired terrible shin splints on the insides of my shins.

I'm running in a pair of addidas running shoes - and I'm wondering if a change of footwear might help me out. What are people's thoughts on more minimalistic shoes? Would something like Inov8's etc be a better option for me? Thanks guys

Blair Lowe 02-04-2011 10:39 AM

Running on your heels won't help either.

Justin McIntosh 02-06-2011 10:16 AM

To be honest anyone who has never seen you run should not be able to tell you what is wrong. You could have an anatomical issue that needs to be addressed, a form issue, or just need better shoes. The best thing I can tell you is to find a shoe store that specializes in matching the foot type to the proper shoe.

Justin Arnold 02-06-2011 11:08 AM

I agree with Justin, with the huge caveat that you need to find a shop that isn't still stuck on cushion/motion control shoe dogma.

More minimal shoes, when accompanied by proper focus on appropriate technique, have already helped a TON of people with shin splints, among other things. At least one of the running shoe stores here refuses to acknowledge that fact.

daniel lyell 02-06-2011 12:52 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I have a pair of vibrams, but haven't been able to get too much use out of them as the Army prevents one from wearing them to pt. This is why I have been stuck with a more traditional shoe in the past.

Any particularly good brands for minimalist shoes that look like shoes? I have wide feet so nikes don't fit well, and inov8's are hard to find. Thanks.

Justin Arnold 02-06-2011 01:48 PM

Wait a couple months.

Merrell has a few models for men and women coming out in March. I have a pre-production sample of their heaviest duty version ("trail glove") and it's really, REALLY good.

NewBalance has the Minimus series coming out on a similar time frame. I haven't seen them in person yet but they should be really nice. Their 101 (out already) is a trail runner that works well as a more minimal or transition shoe. Much lower heel than most, though the shank in the sole stiffens it up quite a bit. At least it makes it easy to stay off your heels.

For the record, both of these are significantly less shoe than the inov8s.

Just be careful with the transition. If you are stubborn and don't check the ego/mileage/speed, you stand a really good chance of hurting yourself (stress fractures, achilles tendinitis, etc). Once you adapt though.. awesome.