Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pers log (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6088)

Per Karlsson 02-28-2011 02:26 PM

Pers log

Hi all,

Im a total beginner at the oly-lifts so this will be my log to keep track of hopefully some progress!

Im one week into trying the lifts and stats right now are:

front squat: 45, just started doing these
Clean and jerk 42.5 kg
Snatch 40 kg

I cant do full snatches yet so I do the power version of them.

Other stats

22 years
185 cm (pr)
75 kg

Per Karlsson 02-28-2011 02:32 PM

Right now I'm following this:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/W...g/WFW2005.html

Todays workout:

20 snatches, worked up to 40
10 c&J, worked up to 42.5
3x5 front squat 45

Also did some overhead squatting with the bar. I'm having problems with the balance here.

Derek Simonds 03-01-2011 04:36 PM

Welcome Per and I look forward to following your training.

Per Karlsson 03-02-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 87601)
Welcome Per and I look forward to following your training.

Thank you! I will try and post some form videos soon and I appreciate all critique :)

Todays work out:

Cleans to 95% (extra front squats)

deadlifts: singles and volume
2x5 100

did full cleans up till 52.5 then power cleans 57.5. Power clean is still stronger then front squat, will soon be fixed.

Quick question, my program says for example monday 20 clean and jerks. Would you work up to max or do 20 singles at say 50?

Derek Simonds 03-03-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Karlsson (Post 87653)
Quick question, my program says for example monday 20 clean and jerks. Would you work up to max or do 20 singles at say 50?

I am pretty sure that you want to work up to a heavy single each time you do the 20 singles. As a beginner you are gonna hit a bunch of new PR's when you lift. So enjoy and work heavy but don't ever sacrifice technique. If you get sloppy lower the weight. When you are feeling strong lift heavier.

Per Karlsson 03-04-2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 87716)
I am pretty sure that you want to work up to a heavy single each time you do the 20 singles. As a beginner you are gonna hit a bunch of new PR's when you lift. So enjoy and work heavy but don't ever sacrifice technique. If you get sloppy lower the weight. When you are feeling strong lift heavier.

I have found a lifting club where I live so hopefully I will learn some technique in the near future.

My legs are a bit to weak for olympic lifting so new plan is to do some linear progession on squats and deadlifts. Do you guys do alot of presses to?

Derek Simonds 03-04-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Karlsson (Post 87746)
I have found a lifting club where I live so hopefully I will learn some technique in the near future.

My legs are a bit to weak for olympic lifting so new plan is to do some linear progession on squats and deadlifts. Do you guys do alot of presses to?

The general answer is probably yes. Everyone on here has different goals so we all follow different types of training. A good solid linear progression will build a foundation for all types of lifts. If you are going to press you need to balance your pressing with pulls of some type either pullups or rows. Try and do twice as much pulling as you do pushing for shoulder health.

Per Karlsson 03-06-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 87751)
If you are going to press you need to balance your pressing with pulls of some type either pullups or rows. Try and do twice as much pulling as you do pushing for shoulder health.

Will do, thank you for the advices.

Today:

Clean and jerk: singles to 45, failed to jerk it a couple times but got it eventually

Front squat: 3x5 45 easy, adding 5kg

Press: 3x5 32.5,
1x5 35

pullups: 3 2 1

Per Karlsson 03-08-2011 10:52 AM

Clean and jerks: up to 47.5
Snatch: up to 40
Front squats: 3x4 47.5 Squats felt heavy today so didnt do 50 as planned. Probably becuase I was hungry and tired.

Per Karlsson 03-10-2011 02:13 PM

Supposed to DL today but had pizza and beers instead. It was awesome