Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Nutrition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Ketosis (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6126)

John P. Walsh 03-25-2011 06:39 AM

Ketosis

I'm doing an Atkin's induction. Generally how does it take to get into Ketosis? Yes I am using the Ketosis strips. I am on day 2 and still nothing.

Chris Butler 03-25-2011 08:35 AM

It can take a few days or even a week.
Where are your macros at?

John P. Walsh 03-25-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Butler (Post 88505)
It can take a few days or even a week.
Where are your macros at?

Just an educated guess but I would say about 40/40/20. fats/proteins/carbs

Chris Butler 03-25-2011 10:05 AM

You might need to go below 20% initially.

I had success with eating only protein, fat and green veggies for a week.

Arien Malec 03-25-2011 10:16 AM

Too many carbs for ketosis, if that's your aim.

Real ketogenic diets are 4:1 ratio fat to protein; almost zero carb.

If you really want to trigger ketosis quickly, three approaches, all of which can be used at the same time:

1) Fasting
2) More fat, less protein, much less carb.
3) Move that 20% carbohydrate to PWO

John P. Walsh 03-25-2011 11:52 AM

I screwed up. I am only consuming 20 grams of carbs. Forget that 40/40/20 number.

Darryl Shaw 03-26-2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John P. Walsh (Post 88512)
I screwed up. I am only consuming 20 grams of carbs. Forget that 40/40/20 number.

50g of carbohydrate per day is required to prevent ketosis so if you're eating ~20gCHO/d you should be in ketosis by now although it should be noted that that will not enhance fat oxidation significantly compared with any other calorie restricted diet or speed up the rate at which you lose body fat.

Arien Malec 03-26-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw (Post 88534)
although it should be noted that that will not enhance fat oxidation significantly compared with any other calorie restricted diet or speed up the rate at which you lose body fat.

Ketosis alone, probably not. If you think of ketosis as a biomarker for glycogen depletion and very low insulin, it's a good indication that you have prime conditions for lipolysis (but not essential for it). As Darryl notes, that doesn't mean much for fat oxidation if you aren't taking in fewer calories than your body needs (but most people on Atkins do so spontaneously, at least at the beginning).

Note on terms: To lose fat you need to mobilize it (lipolysis) and burn it (oxidation).

John P. Walsh 03-28-2011 07:40 AM

OK. I am on day 5 and the strip only shows a trace of ketosis. I am not eating any grains or any fruit. The only place I can think of getting carb creep is from cheese and deli turkey breast. The only dressing I use is olive oil.

John P. Walsh 03-28-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw (Post 88534)
50g of carbohydrate per day is required to prevent ketosis so if you're eating ~20gCHO/d you should be in ketosis by now although it should be noted that that will not enhance fat oxidation significantly compared with any other calorie restricted diet or speed up the rate at which you lose body fat.

I have already lost 3 pounds.