Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Chest dropping, squatting, and belting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6544)

Jason German 03-14-2012 07:18 PM

Chest dropping, squatting, and belting

I have the tendency to lean forward, drop my chest and lead with my hips at the bottom of my squat. I recently switched from low bar to high since I am training O-lifting exclusively now. The problem is not as pronounced on the high bar as it was on the low but it still rears its ugly head when weights get heavy and fatigue sets in. First, any thoughts on what causes this? Flexibility? Thoughts on correction?

Second, I used a belt when squatting and cleaning for the first time last week. I was better able to keep an upright torso on both and it felt strong. I've read that belts should only be used when going 90% or higher. Would this still apply given my particular issue? On one hand I don't want to become to dependent on the belt but I also want to get stronger and keep proper form. Thoughts?

Matt Foreman 03-15-2012 07:54 AM

I had the exact same problem when I switched from PL to OL squatting. I think it was just a lack of strength in the specific muscle groups that are involved in the posture of the high-bar back squat. I didn't do anything particular to fix it. I just kept squatting and tried to be as disciplined as possible about keeping the proper positions. After lots and lots of reps, it cleared up. That was just my experience. Others might have additional ideas on how to fix this.

Greg Everett 03-15-2012 12:31 PM

More squat volume at weights light enough to maintain correct posture.

The problem isn't flexibility if you can sit into the correct bottom position - the problem is not being strong in the correct posture as Matt said. The only way to get strong in the correct posture is to do strength work in the correct posture. So to that end, you can throw in 3-5 sets of 5 squats each squat workout before and/or after your main squat workout with about 50% of max or so - enough to feel it but light enough to ensure perfect position. And with all squats, focus on moving the knees and hips simultaneously, both down and up.

MANEL PIRES FOLE 05-09-2012 01:04 PM

Iīm a beginner "weightlifter" 42 years old, and Iīm reading your book, itīs incredible, magnific. But I have a problem, I donīt know how start . My technique itīs not good, and I have working in flexibility back, hips. My Pr are: squat:70Kg, front squat:60., hang clean:48 and star a program and wisnatch:34( horrible).
How to start a program and wich one," Beginner Program" or " Technique Development Program" from "Oympic Weightlifting: a complete guide for athletics and coaches.
Thanks , congratulations for your book, and sorry for my bad english.

Greg Everett 05-09-2012 01:06 PM

The technique development program would be better for you at this point.

MANEL PIRES FOLE 05-10-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Everett (Post 96470)
The technique development program would be better for you at this point.

thank you very much for your reply.