Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   long torso short legs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6556)

Van oneill 03-29-2012 11:33 AM

long torso short legs

Having a long torso and short legs, I squat with no problem.However I have trouble with pulls.I would appreciate any help

Thank you

Van

Van oneill 03-29-2012 05:45 PM

More specifically. I dont deadlift well . What with long torso.and short legs would help me get the weight off the floor.instead of a coventional Deadlift setup?

Michael McKenna 03-30-2012 06:13 AM

I have the same build. I used to deadlift with a higher hip start, conventional; sumo never did me any good.

If you insist on deadlifting, do pulls from a deficit- with a 2 inch block or couple plates under your feet. Helps greatly.

Dave Van Skike 03-30-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van oneill (Post 95894)
More specifically. I dont deadlift well . What with long torso.and short legs would help me get the weight off the floor.instead of a coventional Deadlift setup?

If you are doing PL lifts, Sumo or Modified Sumo should be a better bet, relies on a lot more hip flexibility that you're likley to have as a close stance squatter. Neither of theses are deadlifts though. ;) and furthermore, probably will not do much for your Olympic lifting.

As Mike points out, pulling while standing on a plate will correct all manner of Deadlift ills

Van oneill 03-30-2012 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. What would help my pulls from the floor for C&J ?

Michael McKenna 03-30-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van oneill (Post 95907)
Thanks for the replies. What would help my pulls from the floor for C&J ?

Not deadlifting; your Dl will kill a good clean, but a strong back form cleans can build an okay deadlift. You can do DL style clean pulls, but I stand by the following: Pulls from a deficit, but also learn to pull for your clean by getting your legs into a strong position. You need to make sure the bar stays close, your chest stays up, the bar shifts toward you off the floor, and learn to move your torso. If you post some vids, I'l be able to suggest changes. So, too, would Greg and others here.

Van oneill 03-30-2012 05:57 PM

Thanks..i will post one ... .you have been very helpful

Van oneill 03-31-2012 09:44 AM

I just had an epiphany. I have the book and dvd.and I could try that:-) I have a marvelous command lf the obvious

Greg Everett 04-04-2012 09:47 AM

Van -

Definitely post some video and we'll all be able to give you much more useful suggestions. I agree with what Dave and Michael have said though.

I also like floating clean pulls - first rep regular clean pull, then lower the bar to as close to the floor as you can without it touching, hold, next rep pull, repeat. You can also do these on a riser, which will allow you to bring the bar to the full bottom position while still not touching the floor (and also give you 1 rep of a deficit pull to start with). Not only will they get you strong, they're great for putting you into a good position.

Van oneill 04-04-2012 03:06 PM

Thanks Greg