Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Using Tonnage to Balance a Routine (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6569)

Jacob William Baker 04-10-2012 03:36 AM

Using Tonnage to Balance a Routine

Hi all

My oly lift template is as follows. **Is there supposed to be such a discrepancy with the tonnage for my working sets?
I was under the impression that they should be close, within a couple hundred pounds.
If so, should I change my number of sets during weeks 2 and 3 to meet the tonnage of the first week, or lower the percentage of the first week to be more similar to the 2nd week?

I've only complete snatch day of week 2, and it felt great, but I also thought I had a whole lot more in the tank.

Snatch
Week 1: 5x5@75% this past week was 135x5x5 [3375]
Week 2: 5x3@85% 155x5x3 [2325]
Week 3: 3x3@80%; 2x2@85%; 3x1%95% around [2200]

CnJ
Week1: 185x5x5 [4625]
Week 2: 210x5x3 [3150]
Week 3: 220x10x1 [2200]

Should these tonnage calculations be similar from week to week? If so, should I be raising sets (for example week2 would be 7x3) to meet the tonnage numbers or changing percentages?

Any advice, on this topic or training in general, would be greatly appreciated. If anyone would like the entire spreadsheet of my 531/oly hybrid, I'd be more than happy to post.

Thanks All,

V/R

Baker

I do a bunch of other accessory stuff, but I'm mainly concerned with the main lifts

Greg Everett 04-10-2012 09:59 AM

First, I'd say you're overthinking it a bit. At this point, I'd encourage you to do more experimentation with actual training than agonizing intellectually over details like tonnage. I don't mean that to sound rude, but there's a reality that you have only so much energy to put into this stuff, and you'll be much better served as a beginning lifter by lifting as much as possible and thinking as little as possible. Use existing programs and modify them as needed to suit you rather than trying to reinvent the wheel (to quote bill mcneil from news radio, thomas edison wasn't trying to invent something that was readily available from a variety of stores near his home).

Pay attention to your sets/reps/percentage progressions and that will be adequate.

So regarding the numbers you posted, I would say the following:

Don't do 5 reps in the snatch or CJ. MAYBE in the power snatch occasionally, but very rarely would I ever do more than 3s.

I would start w 3s, move to 2s, then to 1s. On week 2, do some 3s but finish w 2s. On week 3, start w 2s, finish w 1s.

If you did 5x3 at 85% and felt like you had a lot more in the tank, that's definitely not 85%. You have a lot of room technically to fill out. That being the case, I would suggest programming in a way that addresses your technical needs - just doing the classic lifts will probably not be adequate.

So I realize this totally derails your original question, but I think you're focusing on the wrong thing.

Jacob William Baker 04-10-2012 03:25 PM

Thank you for your response Greg; I highly value your input and it did not seem rude by any means. I certainly do get a bit excited and obsessive with the technical aspect of things.
As far as program selection, I'm sure simplicity would be most beneficial...I'll just go with the full bulgarian method from here on out ;)