Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   First meet, have a couple questions. (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6670)

Ben Orga 07-11-2012 08:32 PM

First meet, have a couple questions.

I would like to register for the 2012 Cal StateGames but I have a lot of questions as this is my first meet.

1. Attempts: My PBs are currently 95 snatch and 130 CJ. These were both done in my garage and not in a competition. Do beginners usually open with 85-90% of their PB and work up to their PB? I was thinking 85, 92, 95 for Snatch, and 120, 125, 130 for CJ.

2. Tapering: the meet is 2 weeks away, I plan to follow my current programming, which does not taper for a competition, and just take it easy the week before the lift, mainly staying below 75% or working up to openers?

A little background on me, I am a crossfitter with a emphasis on weightlifting. Weightlifting takes up 70% of my programming currently. I would appreciate any advice on the above and just any basic advice for a first time weightlifting competitor. Thank you in advance.

Matt Foreman 07-11-2012 08:46 PM

1- I think the attempts you listed sound pretty good. Your opener should be something you can make anytime you want to, something you've done really consistently in training. Based on what you wrote about your lifts, the attempts you planned sound about like what I would do. Just make sure 85 to 92 is a jump you're used to.

2- Just make sure you get plenty of rest the week of the meet. If you're going to compete, you want to give yourself the best possible shot at a good performance. It doesn't make sense to train in a way that's going to leave you fatigued on meet day. I have no idea what your normal training is like, but I like the approach of lifting light on Monday and Wednesday, and then doing nothing but light stretching and maybe some bar work on Thursday and Friday before the meet. During that last week- when in doubt, go light and rest.

Greg Everett 07-12-2012 12:06 PM

I would agree with Matt regarding your attempts. The 85-92 jump strikes me as a bit big, but if you do it all the time, it's fine. If not, you may want to consider doing 87 instead of 85, and you can make your last warm-up lift as high as 85 if you want to be more confident with the opener. Honestly I've had newer lifters take their opener weight as their last warm-up when I know confidence is an issue and that the weights themselves are not particularly taxing.

Regarding the last week, definitely do the lifts at least on Mon and Wed. Instead of taking the other days off, because you're new, I like doing the lifts but keeping it very light - like a few 60% singles. This just keeps the movements fresh for you without wearing you down at all. Day before the meet, either rest completely or just throw the bar around a bit to stay loose.

Ben Orga 07-12-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Everett (Post 97148)
I would agree with Matt regarding your attempts. The 85-92 jump strikes me as a bit big, but if you do it all the time, it's fine. If not, you may want to consider doing 87 instead of 85, and you can make your last warm-up lift as high as 85 if you want to be more confident with the opener. Honestly I've had newer lifters take their opener weight as their last warm-up when I know confidence is an issue and that the weights themselves are not particularly taxing.

Regarding the last week, definitely do the lifts at least on Mon and Wed. Instead of taking the other days off, because you're new, I like doing the lifts but keeping it very light - like a few 60% singles. This just keeps the movements fresh for you without wearing you down at all. Day before the meet, either rest completely or just throw the bar around a bit to stay loose.

Thanks coach.