Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Greg, how about good DURABLE bumpers? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6791)

John Janecek 10-10-2012 08:07 PM

Greg, how about good DURABLE bumpers?

Greg,

Working on getting the werksan training bars, now onto bumpers...

As you can see from my other post this is a never ending saga with Troy and USA Sport but down the road I'll get something for these kids that will last...

With that being said, if you could put anything in your facility and you wanted it to be as bulletproof as possible what would you pick...??

Thanks,
John Janecek

Greg Everett 10-15-2012 03:06 PM

I really like the werksan economy training bumpers (http://www.catalystathletics.com/sto...u cts_id=161).

We have used these since we opened here (4 years now) and out of 7 full sets and several additional pairs of 10s and 15s, we've had problems with only 2 10s cracking a bit, and I believe that to be from some of our less attentive lifters (and likely lifting class people more) loading a bar up with too much change and only 10 kg bumpers and/or dropping their bars crooked.

That said, I wish the old Mavriks were still available because those were my all time favorite bumper and seemed to be nuclear holocaust-proof.

Javier Sanjuan 10-15-2012 11:52 PM

http://www.mavrikbarbell.com/Products.html

They can also crush the wallet, but you'll never have to pay for plates again!

Greg Everett 10-16-2012 09:51 AM

Javier -

Have you used these new ones? I've been told these are really not the same as the old ones, but I haven't used them personally.

John Janecek 10-16-2012 08:17 PM

I have a pair of 20k Mavrik plates that are atleast 15-20 years old. Also have three pairs of 35lb Bumper USA plates that are about the same age...And one set of 25lb hi-temps all in my garage with an old texas power bar(?) and a coupe rubber mats for platforms...

I'm sure the Bumper Usa's were red many years ago but they are pretty faded out now and man do they bounce high!! Good for very little noise and keeping the garage floor in good shape, can almost catch them in my hands after dropping them from a clean, ha!!

Now one of the old Mavriks does have a center working loose but we all know thats my fault eh...??

Talked to Leo and he mentioned the werksan black econ training plates, thanks!!

Javier Sanjuan 10-17-2012 12:22 AM

Greg -- no, I haven't used them. I just attached the website to share the pricing. I've also heard that the old ones are extremely durable as well. I've slowly been acquiring equipment in hopes to have a little gym of my own and the plates you have at your gym are always on my mind. However, since I'm paying for everything, I have to scavenge for deals on the quality equipment. I hope to run across those plates some day.

John Janecek 12-07-2012 12:15 PM

Greg,

Do you know of anyone using the Werksan Gold Bushing bar? Looking into them and the black econ training plates....

Troy has asked for two of our bumpers wth the broke out inserts so they can "inspect them", bet warranty claim #3 goes through eh.....

Greg Everett 12-07-2012 12:30 PM

I'm not familiar with the gold bars

Michael McKenna 12-12-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Janecek (Post 98483)
Greg,

Do you know of anyone using the Werksan Gold Bushing bar? Looking into them and the black econ training plates....

Troy has asked for two of our bumpers wth the broke out inserts so they can "inspect them", bet warranty claim #3 goes through eh.....

I've used it, it's alright for a bushing bar. Uesaka is the best bushing bar around, though. I'd rather use the Werksan Gold than any of the cheaper Rogue bars.

If you call the York Barbell Outlet Store (look on their website for the number), they're having a 50% off sale right now. They have a new design needle-bearing competition bar which looked and felt pretty good. It's the best bar they've produced in 10 years or more. You could buy them this past Saturday at our clinic for $365.00. The spin isn't awesome like an Eleiko bar, but it's not too bad.

John Janecek 12-12-2012 11:55 AM

Thanks Michael,

You know its funny all the talking about bumpers and bars and no one even mentioned York except for older bars or bumpers.

For a minute I thought maybe they didn't even make this kind of equipment anymore...

I remember in 1999 whe I worked at SMU we had on platform that had a brna new York comp set of bumpers and a bar, very nice...I think when they built the new wtroom in Ford stadium they bought about $30-40k worth of bumpers and bars like that....Thats the last time I really heard anyone using them??

We are waiting on Troy to "inspect" two bumpers we sent them on warranty claim #3...Right now everything is on hold till they quit dragging their feet and doe something about this....