Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Oly-specific assistance work for shoulder position (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798)

Matthew Beals 10-15-2012 10:30 AM

Oly-specific assistance work for shoulder position

Looking for some tips on improving shoulder position & health for weightlifting.

In particular, my right shoulder tends to roll forward (internal rotation) when receiving the snatch. This shoulder is pretty crunchy in general, but I've found some relief adding external rotation exercises with a band and attacking trigger points on the latissimus and teres major. Pectoral and anterior deltoid stretches seem to have minimal effect, and I have good ROM.

I bench once every 2 weeks and it does not seem to aggravate my shoulder. Bench press is probably my weakest lift.

Thought about posting in the Recovery section, but I'm ideally looking for some assistance work that will also build skill in the Oly lifts. I'm pretty beginner and don't want to lose focus.

Snatch grip deadlift?
Overhead squats?

Thanks.

Greg Everett 10-15-2012 03:01 PM

Muscle snatches for reps, snatch and jerk grip press and push press from behind the neck, all kinds of rows, pull-ups/chins, and less or no benching.

Matthew Beals 10-16-2012 08:49 AM

Cut bench press, do more cool shit. I can handle that.

Thanks for all the work you do in the forums, Greg. Really helpful.

Matthew Beals 11-30-2012 11:35 AM

Reporting back --
Decided to go all in on this one, and for the last 6 weeks I did snatch-grip press from the neck and rows every training day, for 40-60 total reps of each. Plus squats, of course. Did some split cleans here and there for fun. Backed off on everything else.

Shoulder feels great, and I gained 10 lbs. All my shirts are too tight around the armpits now.

Started back in with the full lifts a couple days ago and receiving the bar for snatch feels -awesome- in comparison to before.

John Donovan 12-04-2012 06:01 PM

Not trying to hijack on my first post but I have something similar going on. Whenever I do any pressing from an externally rotated position I get an ache in both shoulders. The ache starts in the posterior about mid scapula and sometimes radiates to my elbow. The ache subsides with rest. I've been told to work on my T-spine mobility as well as shoulder stability. Is this right? Should I be doing the movements prescribed earlier in this thread?

John Janecek 12-05-2012 12:55 PM

Got a kid here I'm doing alot of overhead work with but he's going to lpay FB in the fall at college here in Texas so I'm getting him ready for their posteason lifting.

The push presses behind the neck have really helped him. Greg, this looks like alot of what you advise in the Masters Olympic program in your book.... Any reason you like the behind the neck push press so much?

Greg Everett 12-06-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Janecek (Post 98459)
Any reason you like the behind the neck push press so much?

I like behind the neck pressing a lot because it helps with mobility and also reinforces the proper overhead position. Although the trick is that if mobility is extremely poor, the bnk pressing can aggravate the shoulders, so sometimes you may not be able to introduce it right away (sometimes doing push presses can get you past this because you don't have to actively push in that lowest position).

John Janecek 12-06-2012 09:04 PM

Interesting Greg thanks.

He benches and inclines quite a bit more than me but its the other way around when we do this.....Almost a struggle to hold/support the weight overhead....I see a little tightness but its more the "struggle" if that makes sense??

Matthew Beals 12-08-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Donovan (Post 98455)
Not trying to hijack on my first post but I have something similar going on. Whenever I do any pressing from an externally rotated position I get an ache in both shoulders. The ache starts in the posterior about mid scapula and sometimes radiates to my elbow. The ache subsides with rest. I've been told to work on my T-spine mobility as well as shoulder stability. Is this right? Should I be doing the movements prescribed earlier in this thread?

What you describe can be an indicator of a nerve impingement, which is a potentially serious problem and one you should ask a doctor or physical therapist about. You certainly shouldn't take advice from the internet. That being said: don't do anything that aggravates it, do some SMR in the thoracic area (roll a tennis ball in there), and try some band pull aparts and YTW's before you go crazy with BTN presses.