Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Damned Football! Now I have to run... (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689)

Jamila Bey 03-20-2007 03:38 PM

Damned Football! Now I have to run...

Hey folks,

So, I'm a Defensive Tackle on the DC Divas football team. Our first game is April 28, and I want to be a starter.

Now that I've learned all my holes and how to fill them :P, I need to increase my speed.

I've confused myself by reading too much about my CNS and how it can't handle the heavy weights and sprint training the day before or after one another... And I also have spent my entire life NOT running, so I'm confused.

Suggestions?

Jamila

Dave Van Skike 03-20-2007 04:23 PM

Don't believe the hype. As long as you don't go out ovaries to the wall you should be able to mix, try them on the same day if need be.

Keep it playful and "snappy". A good sprint workout is a lot like a bread and butter strength workout, you feel faster after.

Jamila Bey 03-20-2007 07:00 PM

Yay! Running is bad!

Oh. You didn't quite say that did you...

Dammit. So I'll just have to suck it up and do it.

Mike ODonnell 03-20-2007 07:27 PM

Running sucks....but it's more fun the better you get at it! So just do it! I'm a fan of 400-800meter repeats...otherwise known as hell on earth.....

Steve Shafley 03-20-2007 07:54 PM

Jamila, here's the thing.

How far do you have to run in the game?
How fast do you have to run in the game?
How often do you need to do it?

Go from there.

Chris Forbis 03-21-2007 04:58 AM

D Tackles need to be 1) big & strong 2) explosive. Speed falls under explosiveness. Short sprints (10-30yd), power cleans, push presses is what I would do... all while being sure I kept my raw strength up. Maybe even throw in some truck pushes or sled pulls. If you want to get some metcon, maybe mix the 3 (PC, PP, short sprints).

Random thoughts from a guy who was too skinny to play football beyond 7th grade.

Pierre Auge 03-21-2007 05:38 AM

I've had fun with Dan John's Litvy Sprints. Lift something heavy then sprint! Mix and match put it together have fun with it. I concure sprinting just sucks. So as Nike says JUST DO IT!

Ron Nelson 03-21-2007 09:22 AM

Get cast in the sequel to "300," do lots of resistance runs with Jump Stretch bands around your waist.

That and lots of sled pulls.

Billy_Brummel 03-21-2007 10:12 AM

My vote is for 10-20 yard sprints at intervals along with sled pulls. See if your husband would be willing to let you practice your swim technique on him at the beginning of the sprints. Try and work your technique any chance you can get- the last thing you want to practice is getting vertical right away.

Dave Van Skike 03-21-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Shafley (Post 6886)
Jamila, here's the thing.

How far do you have to run in the game?
How fast do you have to run in the game?
How often do you need to do it?

Go from there.

True knowledges. I didn't say you have to run, you have to do speed work, this doesn't have to be brutal soul sucking journey into night (that woudl be cool but, no..) If you are a DE most of your runs are under 30 yards anyway. a couple bursts after your heavy day would be perfect.

Big thing for you is to work on is changes of position. Practice going from out if position, (all fours, on your back, kneeling)-into athletic position (up on balls of feet) into full sprint, this is functional agility.

Picture perfect fast jogging is not what a DE does, a DE scrambles, gets up quickly moves from bad positons to full sprint. work on lateral sprints, turning 180 degrees even sprinting backwards. This shoudl be fun, not suckful. You are not working on "running speed" as much as the initial acceleration. Best bang for the buck is to do a little with each workout, not to fatigue, this is not metcon. it's speed work.