Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ido Portals Shoulder Routine (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6903)

Peter Möller 01-15-2013 11:59 AM

Ido Portals Shoulder Routine

Found this quite popular shoulder prehab routine on his blog. http://idoportal.blogspot.se/2009/07...-training.html

Something I´ve been thinking about, is if it wouldnt be more "appropriate" to do the routine facing the other direction?
If I´m not mistaken alot of shoulder injuries are due to the anterior shoulder being a lot stronger.
So facing the other way would utilize the posterior deltoid instead of giving the anterior part even more work?

Blair Lowe 02-01-2013 06:13 PM

Seeing that most of this Shoulder series was the same one that is covered in Coach Sommer's GymnasticBodies shoulder series. It actually doesn't have all those exercises which is sort of good and bad. All of them might not be necessary to get the job done.

Having said that, I prefer to do them in both directions when I do them or have my gymnasts do them.

Doesn't really matter so much for cuban presses with bands but I don't really like doing them with bands anyways (DB or plates instead).

Peter Möller 02-02-2013 06:02 AM

Thanks for the input. By the way, Coach Sommer has a shoulder series? I missed that.. If you know where I can find it, I´d appreciate it!

Thanks again!

Patrick Haskell 02-03-2013 04:51 AM

I'd add that when you are talking anterior-posterior imbalances, you are talking about much larger loads at more advantageous angles than that warm-up sequence. The series of cable exercises facing away from the machine (to which I belive you were referring) resemble the perturbation/distraction exercises that a PT would use toward the end of rehab program. Their intent is to put the shoulder at an extreme position and challenge the rotator cuff (and the rest) to stablize the joint. In this case, the stablizers are being challenged not just by the load on the cables, but by the force exerted by the delts and the pecs working against the cables.

Peter Möller 02-03-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell (Post 98940)
I'd add that when you are talking anterior-posterior imbalances, you are talking about much larger loads at more advantageous angles than that warm-up sequence. The series of cable exercises facing away from the machine (to which I belive you were referring) resemble the perturbation/distraction exercises that a PT would use toward the end of rehab program. Their intent is to put the shoulder at an extreme position and challenge the rotator cuff (and the rest) to stablize the joint. In this case, the stablizers are being challenged not just by the load on the cables, but by the force exerted by the delts and the pecs working against the cables.

Wow. That´s actually the first time someone explained the function of the exercises. I searched like *** as I want/have to know and understand why I´m doing something.

Thank you very much!
:)

Kelly White 02-07-2013 05:35 PM

I have used this routine for the past 2 years, and my shoulders have never felt better. Any upper body work always starts like this:

I do 3 min of fast rowing To get the blood moving.

I use handled bands that my globo has. I face away from the rack with heavy bands for a couple of minutes using ido's routine plus some presses where i just lean my torso down at the end of that complex. Then I face the rack with very light bands and do the same thing in reverse.

I finish with jump stretch pull aparts and I'm ready for battle. My shoulders feel better at 37 then they did when I was 27, even with a shoulder separation 5 years ago.

Good stuff.

Blair Lowe 02-07-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

By the way, Coach Sommer has a shoulder series? I missed that.. If you know where I can find it, I´d appreciate it!
Actually he has a couple of series. One is a band series, one uses some equipment like a barbell or weight plates and dumbbells, and another done with the use of a High Bar.

Well, Liquid Steel was canceled some time ago and the mobility was to be worked into the new Foundation Series (which level 1 of 4 just got released. I have no idea what is really in it as I have not purchased it yet).

Nowadays, you would probably only get access to it if you attended one of the seminars or maybe one of the approved clinics that are sometimes hosted by those connected to Coach Sommer (Carmen Amara hosted a few as did Jeff Severn but I do not know if these are going to be done anymore. Perhaps somewhere done the line after someone gets a certain level of accreditation in the GymnasticBodies system and certification).

I had once intended to film all of it and put into the GymnasticBodies Graduate forum (those who have attended the seminar) but I never really got around to it because of camera and time issues.

Peter Möller 02-08-2013 02:51 AM

A big thanks to everyone for being so helpful!