Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   5 Week front squat emphasis program (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7032)

Allan Young 05-06-2013 04:00 PM

5 Week front squat emphasis program

Hi guys, wasn't sure where to put this but would just like to do a quick intro. I am 22 and from Glasgow, Scotland. Have been strength training since I was 18 and done u90kg strongman for a few years. Decided to give weightlifting a try about a year ago as I had access to a coach for the first time. At the start of the year my strength work was going well and as I was coming to the end of that block I managed to get injured back squatting. After a few weeks of recovery I was feeling better and able to front squat with no pain so that's where I found the front squat program.

I ran it leading up to the Scottish Open where I hit a 97/118 in the 85s which was a 5kg PB total, 2kg PR snatch (6kg competition PR) and cleaned a PR 124kg but failed the jerk on a pressout.

This qualified me for the British u23s which is on the 15th June. I am on week 5 of the two-phase advanced cycle which I am enjoying also.

My technique seems to be improving (still a long way to go) and I think I'm finally adapting to the WL style of training as my front and back squat are coming back to what they were.

Didn't mean to make this too long but I mainly wanted to say thanks for the programs and I am looking forward to running more in the future!

Brian Marshall 05-06-2013 05:20 PM

Front squat program...

Alan,

Your lifts looked solid. Thank you for posting the video. If you don't mind me asking, how much can you front squat? My goal is to C&J 125kilo, and I currently have a PR on the front squat of 135kilo. I also did the "front squat program", and found it very beneficail, to my snatch as well.

Allan Young 05-07-2013 02:27 AM

Cheers Brian!

My best front squat is 155kg which I hit a few weeks ago, I feel I have the strength for a bit more and hope to hit 160kg this Saturday as a daily max after Snatch and Clean and Jerk (although that will depend on how I feel on Saturday!).

Blake Barnes 05-07-2013 09:20 AM

Your front squat and C&J number relativity is dependent on your leg strength vs. your technique. If your legs are strong but your not very technically sound then your front squat number is going to be significantly greater than your C&J number.

Bob Takano discusses the back squat and the C&J in this article:

http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-we...and-jerk-ratio

Allan Young 05-08-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake Barnes (Post 99605)
Your front squat and C&J number relativity is dependent on your leg strength vs. your technique. If your legs are strong but your not very technically sound then your front squat number is going to be significantly greater than your C&J number.

Bob Takano discusses the back squat and the C&J in this article:

http://breakingmuscle.com/olympic-we...and-jerk-ratio

Interesting article Blake. Its nice not having too much difficulty standing up out of cleans but then it would be much nicer to be able to clean much bigger weights. I guess it will come, as my technique improves :)

PS. If anyone has any advice for any of my lifts then it would be much appreciated. Especially the jerk and continually pressing it out. It's something I'm working on closely at the minute. Some of my most recent YouTube videos might give a clearer idea of how my lifting usually is.

Allan Young 05-23-2013 03:59 PM

I'm on week 7 now of the 2 phase advanced cycle, really enjoying it so far and it will take me up to my next comp nicely.

Here is a video from yesterday (ignore the snakeback deadlifting for the first 20s)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blake Barnes 05-25-2013 09:08 PM

On your snatches you're bringing your feet up in the air a lot after the extension. Make sure, immediately after your extension, you're quickly pulling under the bar so it's a quick shift of the feet to the receiving position. However, I don't see you doing this on the cleans. Try some tall snatches and some dip snatches and focus on shortening the transition from 2nd to 3rd pull.

You're extending that back leg on some of your jerks. On that miss, it looks like you over-reached and brought your hips backwards causing you to slightly miss the weight forward. Remember to keep your back knee soft and absorb the weight with your hips straight down.

It's hard to see from this angle but it looks like your knees may be coming in a little bit on the way up when you're squatting. Force those knees out on the way up.

Allan Young 05-26-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake Barnes (Post 99735)
On your snatches you're bringing your feet up in the air a lot after the extension. Make sure, immediately after your extension, you're quickly pulling under the bar so it's a quick shift of the feet to the receiving position. However, I don't see you doing this on the cleans. Try some tall snatches and some dip snatches and focus on shortening the transition from 2nd to 3rd pull.

You're extending that back leg on some of your jerks. On that miss, it looks like you over-reached and brought your hips backwards causing you to slightly miss the weight forward. Remember to keep your back knee soft and absorb the weight with your hips straight down.

It's hard to see from this angle but it looks like your knees may be coming in a little bit on the way up when you're squatting. Force those knees out on the way up.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look Blake. First point is very helpful and I will work on actively pulling under the bar more by doing some of the exercises you suggest.

The back knee thing is something I have been working on recently and is working with lighter weights just now but goes back to straight leg sometimes on the heavy one. Any specific points or just try to build consistency?

The knees thing is a good point but I don't think my knees cave in much as all of my other squat videos are usually from the front and it never seems a problem. Its always a good thing to think about to keep the right muscles working though. Thanks.

Blake Barnes 05-27-2013 05:03 PM

I understand how the heavier weights can cause you to lock out that back knee. I notice myself wanting to do the same thing. I would suggest doing jerk balances and split push presses behind the neck or in front. Focus on keeping your back knee soft and your torso upright. We do these occasionally to warm up before we jerk.

You can see an example in this video of Jessica doing a combo to warm up:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxn1Z13CpgA

Allan Young 06-19-2013 02:51 PM

An update: Had my latest meet at the weekend. It didn't go as well as I'de hoped (or quite as well as I'de managed in training) but can't really complain.

1kg competition snatch PB and 1kg total PB.

Cleans went well but need to sort the jerks!