Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Back Squat Critique. Please rip this apart. (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7033)

Andrew Kerwin 05-07-2013 03:34 PM

Back Squat Critique. Please rip this apart.

Hey all,

This is at 81%, felt friggn heavy today which I attribute to stress from finals being over the last couple weeks. Been playing with a wider stance (which I know you can't see from the video), that has proved to feel much more stable. I am noticing that it looks like I do tend to keep the bar over mid foot, hence heels coming up, wondering if that is from how I rack it? Let me know what you think :)

Blake Barnes 05-07-2013 04:14 PM

Andrew,

Try to bring your elbows straight down instead of back and think about pinching the tops of your shoulder blades together. Pulling them back may be causing you to lean forward, in turn, causing your weight to shift forward slightly.

Andrew Kerwin 05-07-2013 05:11 PM

Thanks dude

Tamara Reynolds 05-08-2013 08:44 PM

Agree with Blake on the elbows. Get them directly under the bar as much as possible.

Try controlling your descent for a 3 count to see if that helps with your weight shifting. Again, I think this is fairly minor like your front squat. You are literally ass to ankles on these squats, so I don't see any glaring mobility issues.

Andrew Kerwin 05-12-2013 05:32 PM

Thanks, gonna give that a shot as well as adjusting the arms a bit.

Blake, in regards to hand placement on the bar, about where do you reference or set up?

Blake Barnes 05-12-2013 08:16 PM

Before I get under the bar I put my pinkies on the rings so I know I'm centered. Then right before I take the bar off of the rack I scoot them in just outside shoulder width. But it's usually a matter of what's the most comfortable for the lifter.

Andrew Kerwin 05-13-2013 06:55 AM

I've been toying with setting up in a similar manner, my arms are kind of long though so I still need to find that sweet spot.

Blake Barnes 05-13-2013 04:54 PM

Keep playing around with it until you find what is most comfortable for you.

Andrew Kerwin 05-21-2013 05:49 AM

This is some what unrelated but I am looking for your guy's thoughts on this. I am currently on active duty for a bit and the transitional week left me with two days to actually get some gym time in. After Memorial Day weekend I should have a relatively regular work schedule and hence regular gym schedule again. I should be starting week 5 of a 9 week squat cycle this week and I am curious as to if its better to jump in as if I didn't lose most of week 4 or if I should start week 5 with perhaps slightly lower reps or actually make up week 4 all together? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Rich Kite 05-21-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake Barnes (Post 99652)
Keep playing around with it until you find what is most comfortable for you.

I normally suggest a clean grip hand position for back squats. I have noticed if the hand spacing is to wide, the "step" formed by the traps for the bar to rest on is difficult to attain.