Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Getting equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7117)

William Forth 07-24-2013 05:11 AM

Getting equipment

As I told in my introduction to the forum, I'm fairly new to weightlifting and I was wondering, if I were to get my own equipment, if it's ok to purchase second hand equipment. Of course I know, that the weights and the installation itself are pretty much ok to buy second hand, but what about stuff like clothing and belts and things like that? Is it really necessary to have like 'custom-made' stuff or can I for example buy things from friends?

Keith Miller 07-24-2013 08:51 AM

It really depends on what kind of equipment you're talking about buying off your friends.

Straps and wraps, I would not hesitate to buy second hand, BUT straps will depend greatly on condition and whether or not I like the style. Same thing with wraps, but I'm a little more open here.

Belts and shoes can be very individual as size and fit will make a big difference. Again, if you find something that fits and works, then go for it. Knee sleeves probably also fit in this category, but be sure to wash them thoroughly!! :D

If I missed anything you had more specific questions on, let me know. I've purchased some equipment second-hand, but not much as I tend to be very particular about what I want and how it fits.

I forgot to add that nothing I buy is "custom-made" for me. I buy stuff that weightlifting stores typically stock.

William Forth 07-25-2013 12:04 AM

Thanks for the advice, this is already really helpful. And no, there was nothing in particular, I was just wondering if it was a definite go or no-go to purchase stuff second-hand. Don't like doing that, because I've made some mistakes in the past with that. That includes buying one of these second-hand hublot watches that a friend of mine used to sell. But after 2 weeks, it stopped ticking. Fortunately, at this webshop I bought the same model again (because I really liked the looks of it) and that one still works fine.

Anyways, since then I'm a bit more careful with being things off friends. So a while ago, a friend of minde (different one this time) offered his weight lifting equipment, which included the weights and the installation, but he also had some straps, a belt and knee sleeves, which he had already used, so I'm not quite sure about those. Do they wear out? If so, are they expensive to buy new?

Keith Miller 07-25-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Forth (Post 100223)
Anyways, since then I'm a bit more careful with being things off friends. So a while ago, a friend of minde (different one this time) offered his weight lifting equipment, which included the weights and the installation, but he also had some straps, a belt and knee sleeves, which he had already used, so I'm not quite sure about those. Do they wear out? If so, are they expensive to buy new?

I'm not sure what you mean by installation, but lots of people I know buy weights and bars second-hand. So long as the bumpers and bar look to be in good working shape and are of decent quality, you should be alright. Bars can be a little worrisome if you don't know how well the previous owners treated it.

As far as straps, belt and knee sleeves, they do wear out, but it's difficult to know when they will. Straps are very individual, people like different styles, but they're not that expensive to get, you might just have to shop around. Knee sleeves also wear out to some degree or breakdown. They can be a little more expensive depending on the brand, make and model. Belts will generally last a bit longer, but it's hard to give any specifics as it really depends on what type and brand of belt it is. Some will last a very long time, others not so much. It will also depend greatly on previous use. Again, belts can be very individual and price to replace is really all over the place depending on style and make of the belt.

William Forth 07-31-2013 03:12 AM

Thank you for your reply Keith, I guess things are pretty clear for me then. I'll start of with buying the equipment (what I meant with installation) second-hand, I guess that's okey. I won't buy the entire lot at once, I'll start off slowly:)

About the straps, belts and sleeves: the conclusion that I've drawn here is that it will be for the best to just buy everything new. I don't mind to, and I don't like taking the risk of something tearing up when I'm doing a workout.

So guys, thanks again for the advice!

Keith Miller 07-31-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Forth (Post 100272)
Thank you for your reply Keith, I guess things are pretty clear for me then. I'll start of with buying the equipment (what I meant with installation) second-hand, I guess that's okey. I won't buy the entire lot at once, I'll start off slowly:)

About the straps, belts and sleeves: the conclusion that I've drawn here is that it will be for the best to just buy everything new. I don't mind to, and I don't like taking the risk of something tearing up when I'm doing a workout.

So guys, thanks again for the advice!

No problem. That's the route I would go too, buy the equipment second-hand (if you can find it) and the accessories new.

Good luck!! :D