Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   To squat seperatly or after Olympic lifts? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7136)

David Boyle 08-07-2013 03:16 AM

To squat seperatly or after Olympic lifts?

For the past 6 months I've done 2 different programs where I'm:

(1) Squatting on separate days
(2) Squatting after doing the Olympic lifts.

my squat numbers were higher when I was squatting on separate days...but I have to admit I prefer to squat after doing the classic lifts...I like the volume and hard work it takes to gut through the squats when your legs are already fatigued.

At the end of the day I want to be a better Olympic lifter than a squatter...but would I achieve a higher total if I squat on separate days...since I'm lifting more weight that way?

thanks.

Greg Everett 08-07-2013 11:21 AM

I don't think you have to necessarily commit to one or the other permanently. I tend to have people squat heavy on the same days they do the classic lifts heavy because it concentrates the toughest training into single days, which allows you to modulate intensity/volume day to day more easily. But sometimes I will have people squat every day, or squat days between their heavier sn/cj days. Really just depends on the overall program design/intent.

Tamara Reynolds 08-07-2013 05:19 PM

We squat every day, and about half the time, we squat before snatch and clean and jerk.

Prior to this, I went about 18 months with a routine of front squat, snatch, clean and jerk, front squat, so I was always squatting before and after.

Personally, I find that my snatches are almost always better if I have squatted before. Clean and jerks... it really depends. I haven't been doing cleans this cycle, but previously, my best clean was about 90% of my best front squat, so a heavy squat session before didn't always help my cleans, haha.

David Boyle 08-07-2013 09:28 PM

thanks Greg / Tamara.

I know my squat numbers need to go up. I'm not in the 400lbs+ range yet. I'm not stressing over numbers, but I do believe I should be squatting more. I think my conditioning session may play a roll in that? I've put on some good weight...at least I think so since I've been deployed. I'm 200lbs and feel great. I try not to compare myself to other people, but I just want to make sure I'm putting in the correct system of maximal results for the time spent.

I'm due back to the states shortly and will have a solid Olympic lifting gym to go to when I return. I'm rambling on...lol.

thanks again.

Matt Foreman 08-10-2013 07:56 AM

I'm generally a big believer in squatting on the same days as the OLifts for the same reason Greg mentioned, consolidating all your hard work on the same days so your recovery days can be really be used for recovery. I've almost always squatted at the end of workouts. I did experiment with squatting before my OLifts for a while, and it was interesting. I can't say it really changed all that much for me personally. I once snatched 142.5 immediately after squatting 250x5, and I thought that would make my snatches ten times more powerful if I did them when I was fresh. It didn't really change much though.