Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   gymnastics and oly (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7166)

Hunter Laing 09-08-2013 08:26 AM

gymnastics and oly

Hey all. I'm starting up this log because I had a scare recently that I would lose my excel file where I log my workouts when my computer crashed. Luckily I was able to retrieve the data, but I'm still gunna log online too as a back up.

Goals right now are a 135# snatch, 185# clean, 10 sec adv tuck front lever, and a 10 sec tuck planche, and a strict, slow muscle up on rings.

I started with the olympic lifts on May 14, 2013, with my max lifts at a 95# power snatch(I was unable to get into an ohs to catch the full lift) and a 125# clean and jerk.

This friday I hit 125# on the snatch and 180# on the clean, and I'm working with 15 sec sets of tuck front levers and band assisted planches. I've been working these gymnastic progressions for 3 weeks so far, and I've been following the outlaw way to some degree for my oly lifting, a couple weeks behind, since the start of the hatch squat cycle. Before that I used the Catalyst Starter Program.

Sun 9-8-13

am - SASa1

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. wall assisted tuck half press HS - 5 x 3
A2. tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Press HSs felt good, focusing on getting as much of my low back off the wall at the bottom of the rep while still maintaining good control. The tuck front lever holds also felt strong. I have been focusing on keeping my scaps depressed during the movement by trying to make my neck as long as possible, and today working on this turned some of the sets into almost a flat tuck position, so my 10 sec adv tuck front lever shouldn't be far off.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - blue x 5 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 5 x 10

The band assisted tuck planches felt strong today, staying focused on strong protraction, and keeping the neck long to help with depression. My hips have been getting a little high in these so it might be time to use a lighter band. Knees to elbows were kinda shit today, as by the ends of the sets I was pulling too much with my arms and back and ending in almost a front lever position, which isn't my goal with this movement.

C1. YTWLs - 5s x 1 x 5, 3s x 2 x 5

First time trying these. They were fun, got a nice burn in my upper back. Will keep these in the mix on straight arm days.

e.pm - SASb1

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pulls - 5 x 7

Ring supports are finally getting easier with the rings turned out, focusing hard on having elbows completely extended on these. Bumped the reps up from 6 to 7 on the arch scap pulls, but I need to remember to keep my neck long and really force my head backwards.

B1. low straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang with pull out - 5 x 15 sec

I need a better place to do my low straddle L's so I can work on getting my hands facing forward instead of sideways, but other than that these felt fine, just need more compression flexibility. The german hangs felt good too, I'm finally started to feel my shoulders loosen up on these.

I was gunna do false grip hangs and some wall handstand holds but the workout was cut short by some family drama.

Hunter Laing 09-09-2013 08:44 AM

Mon 9-9-13
bw3h7

am - BAS2

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. false grip ring rows - 10 x 6
A2. PPPU - 10 x 6 / 30X1

Still focusing on scapular depression and retraction on the ring rows, but now throwing in some false grip so I can start working on the MU in my next cycle. I didn't really have the hang of the false grip until the last couple sets, and most reps weren't tempo-ed, so I'll stick with the same ring height in my next BAS workout. Really happy to finally hit all 10 sets of 6 in the PPPU. I think the next push I'll work in BAS will be piked HSPUs.

B1. seated db ext rot - 6.5# x 5 x 10 each arm / 4012

I had gone up to 7# on these last time, but I wasn't feeling as much of a burn in my shoulders which is what I'm really going for so I dropped down. I might even go back to 5# and work the reps super strict next time.

e.pm - OLY

joints
stick halos/dislocates
RBMs
ankles
AM fem/bar

A1. 1RM 2 pos(low hang, hang above knee) snatch
75 x 2 x 1
80 x 1
85 x 1
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1 PR-worked up to this last time but failed the hang rep
110 x f
110 x 1 PR

I've been working on getting a closer stance ohs on my snatch catch, so it takes me a while to get the position warmed up. I also was cutting my pull short today until around 95#, but I was getting under the bar really quick. I missed the hang rep on my first attempt at 110# because I didn't stay on my heels and let the bar get too far in front of me; I still stood up with it, but I caught it in a power pos so I count it as a fail.

B1. 3 x 1 @ 90% of above
100 x 1
100 x f
100 x 2 x 1

Most of these reps felt fast and strong. I missed the low hang rep on my second attempt because I came onto my toes and let the bar get out front, but when I focused on staying back the next 2 sets were easy.

C1. ankle mobility

I've figured out that my ankles are keeping me from achieving the position I want in my snatch and clean catches so I've been mobbing the shit out of em lately.

pm - EQ1

joints
wrists
straddle
shoulders

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 15 sec
A2. bridge pushups x 10, 8, 6

The back body line drill is basically a hollow body hold, keeping the low back flat on the ground, while trying to keep the rest of the body as extended as possible, and I'm using the bridge pushups to open up my shoulders a little more.

B1. HS body line wall drill - 3 x 30 sec
B2. straddle pike pulls - 3 x 10 w/ 10 sec hold on last rep

The HS body line wall drills went really well today, I think I'm getting closer to finding the proper body position for a solid handstand. My wrists today were less than an inch from the wall on all three sets, my back was flat, my belly was sucked in, and the weight was distributed across my knuckles instead of the palm of my hand. I also noticed that trying to spread the floor with my hands helps the position feel more solid.

My straddle and pike flexibility is still crap.

C1. gatherings, piked x 10, 8, 6

Did the first set unbroken, fell on rep 6 of the second set, then made it through the third unbroken. These are fun.

Beasty Boy 09-09-2013 01:27 PM

awesome!

Hunter Laing 09-09-2013 05:32 PM

Thanks man, but those lifts are pounds, so not that awesome yet.

Hunter Laing 09-10-2013 12:45 PM

Tue 9-10-13
bw3h7

e.pm - OLY

joints
stick halos
dyna flex
RBM
ankles
Am fem/bar

A1. 1RM: 2 clean pulls + 1 clean
95 x 2
115 x 1
135 x 1
145 x 1
155 x 1
160 x 1 PR

Probably had 165# at least on this, but I had forgotten how much doing pulls before the full lift tires out my legs and I wanted to save em for squats so I stopped with a 5# PR. Front squat position was also very comfortable today, and I was extremely focused on keeping my feet close with my knees out.

B1. 3x1 @ 90%
145 x 3 x 1

No problems here. All reps were quick and easy.

C1. HBBS
b x 10
95 x 5
135 x 3
160 x 5
180 x 5
190 x 3
205 x 2
225 x 1 PR

225 is the weight I projected as my max when starting the hatch program with outlaw, but I hadn't actually had that much weight(not that its a lot of weight) on the bar in a long time, and this single was fairly easy, with good form, so I'm happy with it.

D1. Front Squat
b x 5
95 x 3
120 x 5
140 x 4
150 x 4
160 x 4

These felt good today, even though on the second rep at 140# I got really lightheaded and dizzy, so I just stood there with the bar racked until I felt better, then finished the set. I think the bar was pressing into my throat too much.

E1. ankle mob

I think I'm starting to get to the point with my oly lifts where my legs are going to start holding me back more than my technique. Hopefully this hatch program pays off with some much bigger squat numbers so I can keep my lifts going up.

pm - EQ2

joints
wrists
straddle
shoulders

A1. back body line drill - 3 x 15 sec
A2. bridge pushups w/ 10 sec hold on last rep - 10, 8, 6

B1. HS body line wall drill - 3 x 30 sec
B2. straddle pike pulls - 3 x 10 w/ 10 sec hold on last rep

C1. gatherings, piked, 10 sec hold on last rep - 10, 8, 6

Hunter Laing 09-11-2013 09:08 AM

Wed 9-11-13
bw3h7
cort1

am - SASa2

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. wall assisted tuck half press HS - 5 x 3
A2. tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Front levers felt really strong today. The first hold was basically an adv tuck position for the whole 15 sec. Still focusing on retracting scaps hard and lengthening my neck for depression.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - blue x 5 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 5 x 10

Tuck planches went well today. I tried to focus on feeling my serratus working, and it worked for a couple sets, but I started to lose depression, so I need to remember to feel my SA while keeping my neck long. Knees to elbows felt better today too. I think the secret to them is to keep the upper back and shoulders active the whole time, because I was swinging less on the way down and not getting into as much of a FL position on the way up.

C1. YTWLs - 3# x 3 x 5 ea

These are a really good cool down/prehab movement for my straight arm days.

e.pm - SASb2

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. ring support - 5 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pulls - 5 x 7

Not much to say here, ring supports are getting stronger every time I do em, and I'm having to arch less and less on the scap pulls. I just need to remember to focus on hard retraction at the top, and I'm trying to externally rotate my arms a little at the top too because I can pull much harder in the arch scap hang with a neutral grip than with pronated one.

B1. bent knee straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang w/ pull out - 5 x 15 sec

Decided to try out bent knee straddle L's instead of straight leg straddle L's because I feel like the low straddle L isn't helping bring up my compression strength which, along with some pike flexibility, is what I really need to a true straddle L. Got deeper in the german hangs, and started lowering into them in an adv tuck back lever.

C1. YTWLs - 3# x 3 x 5 ea

My shoulders and upper back feel awesome after these. Its incredible how much of a burn you can get with so little weight.

Hunter Laing 09-12-2013 02:01 PM

Thu 9-12-13
bw3h7
cort1

e.pm - OLY

joints
sticks
dyna flex
RBM
ankles
AM fem/bar

A1. 5x3 snatch off blocks (below knee) @ heavy trip
75 x 2 x 3
80 x 2 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 3
90 x 3
95 x 3
105 x 5 x 3 PR - 10#

Snatches felt awful today. They were all over the place. Some reps I wasn't getting my elbows high, some I wasn't extending completely, some I was getting under fast enough. My feet were all over the place too, sometimes to wide, sometimes too close. Despite hitting a 10# PR for my work sets, not a single rep felt good today.

B1. 5x2 clean off blocks (below knees) @ heavy dub

105 x 2
115 x 2
125 x 2
135 x 2
145 x 2
150 x 5 x 2 PR - 5#

Same basic shittiness with cleans today, although they were a lot better than the snatches. My landings were slightly more consistent, but my legs felt really tired.

C1. ankle mob
C2. shrimp - back knee only x 5 x 5 each leg

I like shrimps as part of my ankle mobility, because to get into the right positions the knee has to go a decent way over the toes, and I feel like it will lead to more ankle mobility while also developing strength in the new range of motion as opposed to unloaded static and dynamic stretches. it also makes my knees feel good.

pm - EQd

joints
wrists
straddle
shoulders

A1. back body line drill - 1 x 15 sec
A2. bridge pushups - x 10 w/ 10 sec pause on last rep

Back body line drill is getting better, I might bump it up to 20 sec next time. I don't think the bridge pushups are opening up my shoulders like I want them too, so next EQ workout I'm gunna try a weighted box shoulder stretch.

B1. HS body line wall drill - 1 x 30 sec
B2. straddle pike pull - 1 x 10 w/ 10 sec pause on last rep

HS body line is getting better up against the wall, and its getting easier to hold the hollow position upside down. I'm getting deeper in my pancake/straddle pike stretch, but I might have pushed it a little far because my left inside hamstring is a little sore. Hopefully it wont affect my lifts tomorrow.

C1. Gatherings, piked - 1 x 10 w/ 10 sec pause on last rep

Took a headstand too far forward and fell, but rolled out of it without injury. I might start doing these on a raised platform so I can stretch towards a pike more without my feet hitting the floor.

Hunter Laing 09-13-2013 08:21 AM

Fri 9-13-13
bw3h7
cort1

am - BASd

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. false grip ground row - 6, 4+2, 1+3+2, 4+2
A2. ring dips - 6, 6, 6, 5 / 31X1

I need to go back to incline rows to train the false grip more, because I kept slipping out of it into a kind of bent-wrist grip. All the +'s in the reps for FG ground rows are where I had to regrip to finish the set. I also need to put more focus into depression and retraction during these reps. Ring dips felt good. Will continue to work these til I get 10x6, then start working on rto dips.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 2 x 10 each arm / 4020

These felt good. Got a good burn in my shoulders. I think I'll stick with 5# on these for a while because I got a better burn here than with 6.5# and 7#.

Also, thank god I've got more deload sessions coming up because my body has been feeling really beat up.

e.pm - OLY

joints
sticks
dynaflex/RBM
AM fem/bar

A1. Snatch 1RM
75 x 3
85 x 2
95 x 2
105 x 1
115 x 1
125 x 1
130 x f
130 x 1 PR

Tried starting with a wider stance on my pull, and I think it made it a little easier, but I started jumping my feet out really wide, causing my knees to come in every time I stood up. I might try, over the next couple weeks, to work on starting wide and not moving my feet at all to keep my stance close. 125# flew up today, and I got under it really well. The first attempt at 130 was high enough but I lost it forward. The second attempt was pretty easy, but I didn't catch it all the way in the hole, although from the video it looks like I was below parallel.

Also, I definitely did something to my left inside hamstring, as it started to bother me around 115 on snatches.

B1. Clean 1RM
115 x 2
135 x 2
155 x 1
170 x 1

Called it at 170 because my hamstring was starting to bother me more and I wanted to save it for squats, so no clean PR today. Although, now I am 5# away from both my snatch and clean goals.

C1. HBBS
b x 10
95 x 5
135 x 3
160 x 4
170 x 4
180 x 4
190 x 4

All reps felt pretty easy, but by now my left knee was really bothering me, partly because of wide snatch catches and partially because of the hamstring, so I decided to skip front squats today too.

D1. ankle mob
D2. shrimp - back knee only x 5 x 5 each leg
D3. harop curl - 5 sec neg/hand assist x 5 x 5

I was hesitant to work the harop curl at first, but it actually made my hamstring feel better. Shrimps were easier today, and as always my knees felt good afterwards when they, and especially my left, had felt pretty sore earlier in the session.

Hunter Laing 09-14-2013 01:02 PM

Sat 9-14-13
bw3h7
cort1

am - SASad

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. wall assisted tuck half press HS - 2 x 3
A2. adv tuck front lever hold - 2 x 15 sec

I couldn't really get into a groove today on the press HS for some reason, and my right wrist wasn't feeling great. Front levers felt really strong though, and I'm pretty confident I can call them adv tuck now, my back even started to unhollow a little on the first set as I tried to extend farther, but I made sure to fix it on the second set.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - red/purp x 2 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 2 x 10

Tuck planches felt good today. My hips were a little high on the first set, but I fixed that with a little more forward lean on the second set. Protraction and depression were also both strong, although I might need to depress harder on my left side, and my neck stayed long. Knees to elbows were pretty easy. I did slightly tweak something in my middle back on the right side, but I dunno if it was from snatches and cleans yesterday, or from something today, but I only started feeling it after I was done with B1 and B2.

C1. YTWLs - 3# x 1 x 5 ea

Felt good, except for where my back was tweaked.

e.pm - SASbd

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. rto support - 2 x 20 sec
A2. arch scap pull - 2 x 7

Both of these felt strong today. On the ring dips, I've been trying to push my chest out more so I'm less hunched over, and the position feels much stronger. I'm also working on not having my arms touch my sides while in the support. The arch scap pulls felt good today, especially in the first couple reps of each set, where I was basically pulling into a half lay front lever for half a second, and I was controlling them better on the way down.

B1. bent straddle L - 2 x 15 sec
B2. german hang w/ pull out - 2 x 15 sec

I did the straddle L's on pushup handles today, because my wrists have been feeling beat up. I might work them like this for a while so I'm not stressing my wrists a lot in every workout I do. German hangs felt fine. I started lowering into them through an adv tuck BL, and hit a half lay BL for a second on the first set. I also lowered myself to hang through an adv tuck FL after pulling back to an inverted hang. Luckily my back tweak didn't affect any of the exercises I did in this session.

C1. YTWL's - 1 x 5

Hunter Laing 09-16-2013 09:52 AM

Mon 9-16-13
bw4h8
cort2

am - BAS1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

My wrists have been sore near the palm of my hand, and I'm pretty sure its from starting to train the false grip, but its been making it hard to get into positions supporting my weight on my hands, so today I just did the stretch portion of my wrist routine, and I did the conditioning exercises afterwards. I'm gunna try this method for all upper body sessions for a while and see if I like it better.

A1. false grip incline rows - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
A2. ring dips - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5

False grip held up better today, although I did have to regrip for the last couple of sets. I also need to focus more on retraction and depression, as well as pulling with my lats and not my arms, because I started to kind of curl myself to the rings instead of row myself. Ring dips felt good, I was surprised I made it through so many sets of 6, but I was having a hard time locking my elbows out completely at the end of some of the later sets.

B1. seated db ext rot - 5# x 5 x 10 each arm

I'm still not sure if I'm doing this movement right, but I've been trying to focus on pulling the dumbbell up with just my rear delt, and I think it was working a little better.

C1. wrist conditioning

e.pm - OLY

joints
sticks
dynaflex
bastardized agile 8
ankles
AM fem/bar

A1. hi hang snatch - work to non max heavy single
75 x 2 x 3
80 x 2 x 3
85 x 3
90 x 1
95 x 1
100 x 1
105 x 1

These were pretty easy, but my right shoulder was feeling a lil dodgy. I think I need to work on my overhead position with the snatches; I need to try to retract my scaps more and point my elbows more backwards than down, while also catching the bar with bent wrists. All the lower body mobilization I did to warm up made the bottom position of the ohs much easier to hit, although I still wasn't getting my knees out like I want.

B1. knee series

I figured that I do a series for scaps, shoulders, and wrists, so why not one for knees. This time I did inside squats for 5 reps, cross leg squats for 3 reps each way, assisting myself off the floor with my arms, and twisting squats for 10 alternating reps. I figured with this being a deload week for all my lower body lifting that it would be a good time to see how my body reacts to some knee work.

C1. pistol switches - 25# x 5 x 5 sec each side

I'm gunna work these for more knee ankle stability as well as more ankle motion, because I'd like to work up to pistols with no weight to counterbalance as a display of ankle flexibility.