Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   52 yr old lifter with Snatch technique problem (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7181)

John Prink 10-01-2013 06:52 PM

52 yr old lifter with Snatch technique problem

Hey folks,

I'm new to this board. I've been Olympic lifting on and off for over 30 years. Got into powerlifting for awhile which caused some major shoulder issues....big surprise there, right? I'm looking into training on the very simple Master's Oly training routine that Greg Everett wrote and which is posted on this site.

Anyway, my question is pretty simple: Knowing that I have some major flexibility issues from years of training the powerlifts, I had to switch from a squat style snatch to the old split style in order to get the bar overhead. My recovery from a squat style snatch is absolutely horrible, though I can still power snatch without any problems. The weird thing is that I can squat clean without too much trouble.

Anyone out there split style snatch and use the squat clean for the C&J?

Cheers,

John

Matt Foreman 10-02-2013 07:23 AM

Sure, I've seen plenty of older lifters who do it the way you're describing. Having to move to the split snatch when you're older isn't totally uncommon, and there's nothing wrong with it. When you get to be 52, you're basically just trying to find what's going to work best for you personally. Some of the "rules" of weightlifting training don't really apply to you anymore because most of those rules are meant for younger athletes. If the split snatch is more comfortable and it works for you, then do it.

Tamara Reynolds 10-09-2013 08:37 PM

Can you split snatch more than you can power snatch, and do you have the groin flexibility to split without problems?

Ron Mann 10-16-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Prink (Post 100685)
Hey folks,

I'm new to this board. I've been Olympic lifting on and off for over 30 years. Got into powerlifting for awhile which caused some major shoulder issues....big surprise there, right? I'm looking into training on the very simple Master's Oly training routine that Greg Everett wrote and which is posted on this site.

Anyway, my question is pretty simple: Knowing that I have some major flexibility issues from years of training the powerlifts, I had to switch from a squat style snatch to the old split style in order to get the bar overhead. My recovery from a squat style snatch is absolutely horrible, though I can still power snatch without any problems. The weird thing is that I can squat clean without too much trouble.

Anyone out there split style snatch and use the squat clean for the C&J?

Cheers,

John

Hi John
It’s good to hear that you’re back training on the olympic lifts again.

John,I think you’ll find that the split style snatch will work perfectly well with the squat clean and during the 1950/60’s this combination was actually used by a number of prominent American/International lifters including Dave Ashman,Gary Gubner,Louis Riecke and Russell Knipp along with the great Soviet heavyweight Yuri Vlasov – in fact,even the impeccable split stylist Norb Schemansky used the squat clean for a short period of time in the early 1960’s.

Are you intending to enter any Master’s contests at all,John?

My regards and best wishes from faraway New Zealand,
Ron Mann