Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hollywood Bod for the Summer (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719)

Mike ODonnell 03-25-2007 05:46 PM

Hollywood Bod for the Summer

Ok inspired by all the hollywood movie buffness and now that is was 80 something here (people in CA can *#&@ off....people up north can tell me to *&#% off)...time to start thinking about that summer bod...aka a single guy has to look good around the pool and the winter Guinness loading look has to go...hah...So I like to keep things simple...and will do the following program:
- Aim at hypertrophy while eating for fat loss
- training to get into running/biking shape for races this summer
- Focus on compound movments only, most all BB work for max weight

So here's my exercises for mass:
Bench Press (horizontal push)
Hang Clean and Press (Veritcal pull and vertical push) - Why Hang? More emphasis on using traps and shoulders, not strength or power work.
Squat (Lower push)
RDL/DL (Lower pull)
Bent Row (Horizontal Pull)
Pullup (Vertical Pull)

Days: Mon-Hypertrophy split I, Wed-Hypertrophy split II, Fri-Volume Full Body/Metcon type
Other Days/Weekends (depending on weather and schedule): Sprints 100-800meters, Mountain Bike intervals
Workouts: Nothing over 40min, Nothing under 20min

Note this is a 3 week split, could also make a Hypertrophy a Strength cycle by changing reps from 10 to 5. Exercises will remain the same to judge weight and progress when needed.

Hypertrophy workouts:
- Straight Sets
- Rests 30-45sec
- Weights are same for all sets (incremental loading at completing 3 sets of 10)
- Sets are in maxes of 10s (aka....30 reps = 3 sets of 10, 2 sets of 10 and 2 sets of 5 or however many sets it takes to finish)

Workout Hypertrophy I:
- Squat
- Pullup
- Bench

Workout Hypertrophy II:
- RDL/DL
- Clean and Press
- Bent Row

*Misc exercises also on Hypertrophy days for Abs, Lower Back....and yes....Arms...because chicks did the guns. 1 set of one exercise for same reps for big exercises.

Workout Volume Metcon (DBs and KBs, no BB)
- All exercises are done to reps and weights/variations measured to make sure it's not too easy...or too hard. Max time limit is 40min, goal is 20min for completion.
- Each week pick 5-10 random exercises from: 1 arm DB snatch, KB swings, Box jumps, squat and press, pushups, pullups, burpees, knees to elbows, floor wipers, TGUs, renegade rows, tuck jumps, Glut/Ham raise, Dips, HSPUs, or various sprints.

Now the fun:
Week 1:
Hypertrophy I and II - 30 reps each exercise
Volume Metcon - 300 reps total goal (10 exercises of 30 reps)

Week 2:
Hypertrophy 1 and II - 40 reps each
Volume Metcon - 200 reps (8 exercises of 25 reps)

Week 3:
Hypertrophy I and II - 50 reps
Volume Metcon - 100 reps (5 exercises of 20 reps)

Weight are increased when 3 sets of 10 are completed for an exercise (small increments). Metcon weights.exercises are changed to make workout harder as the weeks increase.

Nutrition: a lot of protein and fat, carbs pwo window 1-3hours.

Note sure if with all the other extra running and biking the Volume Metcon work will be too much....time will tell.

Thought and comments are always welcome...but doesn't mean I will listen! :D
A little hard to read this all...I know what it going on but I probably am confusing the hell out of everyone....but I may put it up on a website if others are interested in following along...who knows..this experiment could be a brutal failure...or a stroke of genious...either way I am having some fun with it and that will keep me motivated.

Derek Simonds 03-25-2007 07:13 PM

I uh, cough, cough, sigh did a set of tri's and bi's on Friday at the hotel gym. I was bored and they didn't really have any weights to speak of. I also was going to be sitting by the pool in Marco Island all weekend with the spring breakers running around and felt that added hypertrophy couldn't hurt.

Mike please keep a log or keep us posted on the results. I love to read about the tweaks and results as they take place.

Robb Wolf 03-25-2007 08:34 PM

Looks good dude! Keep us posted!

Steve Shafley 03-25-2007 09:07 PM

Looks sweet.

I like the ascending weight volume and descending metcon volume idea.

Jonas Lind 03-26-2007 03:13 AM

There is a lot of chicks on internet forums though. You could just stay here and not concern yourself with that training stuff ;)

Allen Yeh 03-26-2007 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 7246)

Hypertrophy workouts:
- Straight Sets
- Rests 30-45sec
- Weights are same for all sets (incremental loading at completing 3 sets of 10)
- Sets are in maxes of 10s (aka....30 reps = 3 sets of 10, 2 sets of 10 and 2 sets of 5 or however many sets it takes to finish)

So a set would be done when you reach momentary failure? Rest the 30-45 and then try it again right?

Mike ODonnell 03-26-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Lind (Post 7277)
There is a lot of chicks on internet forums though. You could just stay here and not concern yourself with that training stuff ;)

I've met those Chicks....and I'm heading to the pool!!! Ah chat rooms....why I drink beer to kill those memory brain cells.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Yeh (Post 7281)
So a set would be done when you reach momentary failure? Rest the 30-45 and then try it again right?

Pretty much instead of me saying 3 sets of 10....I say 30 reps....stopping at 10 max to rest....when I get to a point of doing 3sets of 10...then I up the weight....other than that....it will get hard towards the end, stopping 1-2 reps short of complete failure....and doing whatever it takes to get to the end number....

After some thought the metcon days may be a hybrid combined into the end of a lifting day...dunno yet as I plan on doing running and biking too.....may cut off more than I can chew....we shall see....

Yael Grauer 03-26-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb Wolf (Post 7269)
Looks good dude! Keep us posted!

You may want to post some photos, too, so we can evaluate your progress.

Scott Kustes 03-26-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yael Grauer (Post 7303)
You may want to post some photos, too, so we can evaluate your progress.

Yes, show us the Guinness Gut! :D

Aimee Anaya Everett 03-26-2007 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Lind (Post 7277)

ya, but i would be afraid some "internet" girls would look like this...