Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Low Reps/heavy weights VS. High Reps/light weights (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7240)

benjamin abee 12-05-2013 10:55 AM

Low Reps/heavy weights VS. High Reps/light weights

Hi folks. Just wanted to start a discussion on this. There is a man at my globo gym that is 68, super cut and in great shape. He is naturally super lean. He was arguing that he doesn't go heavy At all because it causes stress on joints and you will have issues when you are older. I am stoked to see a man that age in that great of shape and that is great for him. His argument that heavy weights are bad for your joints doesn't make since I have been researching this topic. To me, I feel the extra reps, mostly curls and smith machine, would do as much or more damage.

I am currently 5 months in to Olympic Weightlifting with a strength background as well as xfit for the last 2 years. I have been lifting for 15 years. Focusing mainly on getting better at snatch and c/j. As well as overall fitness and strength.

My question is what are your opinions/facts that would help me and this guy understand each other. As well as precautions to healthy joints in the future.

Thanks. B

cameron patterson 12-10-2013 08:33 AM

Using heavy weights definitely can put strain on your joints. But so can high reps with low weights. The difference maker, in my opinion is how you move. Proper movement will make the biggest difference. If your weightlifting is strengthening proper movement patterns, then I believe it will help to preserve your joints. But if your weightlifting is reinforcing bad movement patterns, then you will do more harm to your body than good. That is my opinion, but I would be really interested to hear what other people will say.

Greg Everett 02-23-2014 10:50 AM

Any 68-year old who that's jacked has some cards falling in his favor irrespective of how he trains/eats. The problem is that you'll never know what doing some heavier training would have done for him -maybe he'd be even more muscular and lean. Reps/volume will typically build more muscle - classic bodybuilding basics. But a base of strength work will usually help goose it along.

Delbert Brown 11-17-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameron patterson (Post 101092)
Using heavy weights definitely can put strain on your joints. But so can high reps with low weights. The difference maker, in my opinion is how you move. Proper movement will make the biggest difference. If your weightlifting is strengthening proper movement patterns, then I believe it will help to preserve your joints. But if your weightlifting is reinforcing bad movement patterns, then you will do more harm to your body than good. That is my opinion, but I would be really interested to hear what other people will say.

Thanks for the suggestion.