Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Snatch form help? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7303)

David Kauzlaric 02-12-2014 11:23 PM

Snatch form help?

This is my brother. He's 18. He snatched 155lb a few weeks ago but now when he is snatching he has issues coming forward after getting the bar up. Watch these two videos and you'll see what I mean. What tips or adjustments can he make to help correct the issue? It's constantly happening to him.

I appreciate all insights!

Javier Sanjuan 02-13-2014 03:17 AM

David,

A couple of things I see:

1. He's starting behind the bar. At a minimum, he's going to need to get those shoulders over the bar. It's preferable that they start slightly in front of the bar. Working on start positions and pulls to the knee will help him with respect to this; it'll help him learn to get his knees out of the way instead of pulling around them as well.

2. He can work on keeping his feet down a little longer. I think this is a result of the first pull being slightly off. The first pull's purpose is to begin generating the power and, with the right positioning, optimally prepare you for the second pull. Once he feels comfortable with his new starting position and pulling to the knee, you can do halting snatch deadlifts to the hip so he can see just how far he can travel up and maintain his chest/shoulders over the bar before he transitions into his second pull. After he show confidence in the new movement, begin to incorporate snatch pulls.

3. The looping in front of his body can be helped by keeping the lats engaged and the elbows going up and out. This will help control that bar not only going out in front, but the subsequent feeling that that bar will be lost behind him. You can work on hang/block/dip snatches with this.

4. I notice that his pull looks a little better when he's doing power snatches. Even though his start positions look the same, he seems a little more aggressive and willing to finish the pull when he's powering rather than he tries to get under the bar. Make all your movements look the same. If you receive the bar higher, then ride it down.

Hope this tips help!

Best,
Javi

Blake Barnes 02-13-2014 08:52 AM

In the first pull, you're lifting the bar out around the knee. Right when the bar leaves the floor, it should be making an angle back toward your body. Once you pass the knee you do a good job on bringing the bar to your hips but the angle is so significant it's making you bump the bar out a little like Javier was talking about.

So right off of the floor the bar should be coming back as well as your knees and your weight distribution. But also remember to keep your chest up at the same time. I think Segment Snatch DLs and/or Segment Snatch Pulls would be a great exercise to help correct that first pull.

David Kauzlaric 02-21-2014 03:52 AM

Okay he has been focusing on making sure the shoulders are in front of the bar and locking elbows out and up.

It seems to help slightly but he is still catching it in a full squat and falling forward. Any other things he can correct on form or any movements to perform to help correct that?

Really appreciate your input so far!

Javier Sanjuan 02-21-2014 08:02 AM

David,

Keeping the lats engaged, the back tight, and pushing hard through the floor should help him stop bumping the bar forward and causing him to fall forward. Explosive knee AND hip extension is desired; if he's only getting explosive hip extension and not using his legs to build bar speed, then he's going to send the bar forward. In my opinion, he should spend time doing pulls focusing on that leg and hip drive.

I hope that helps,
Javi

Blake Barnes 02-21-2014 03:27 PM

The issue may be coming from how his weight is distributed across his feet. Make sure he's keeping his weight back toward the back of the feet in the first pull and all the way through the second pull. Be careful he doesn't exaggerate the this part of the movement and overcompensate by rolling to his toes too soon. He needs to think about extending while his weight is still back and open up as much as he can at the top.

Let us know how things go or post some more videos if you want.