Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dynamic entry question (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7347)

Chad Gibbons 04-04-2014 09:38 AM

Dynamic entry question

Hey everyone, so I have a couple questions about the dynamic entry. I've read Greg's book but have a few more questions about the dynamic entry and wouldn't mind hearing a few opinions. In everyone's opinion, is one of the entries superior to the other? Does one create more tension in the muscles than the other? In the hips down dynamic entry position, when you initiate the first pull are your hips rising into their correct pulling position before the bar separates from the floor, or should the bar be beginning to separate from the ground as your hips are moving into their pulling position? Personally I have been entering my starting position from the top down, I'm also wondering if one entry is better for a beginning/intermediate lifter (more-so beginner), as it would seem to me that with the hips down position it would be easier for the lifter to have a tendency to stripper pull, especially at heavier loads. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I love learning about the lifts and am always looking for more thoughts and advice to use and try out.

Blake Barnes 04-04-2014 03:09 PM

The dynamic start is more of whatever is comfortable for the lifter. Not all are the same. It's used to set the torso in a good strong position to lift the bar off the floor.

Usually the hips are moving into the starting position, then the lifter lifts the bar from the floor without the hips stopping. If you look closely at a side angle of lifters that have a comfortable dynamic start, their hips will get very low and this tends to bring the shoulder behind the bar. If you remember in Greg's book it says you want the shoulders just slightly in front of the bar. The lifter has to move into the correct position before the bar leaves the ground so the lifter does not lift the weight while they're moving into the starting position.

For a beginner (possibly intermediate lifter as well), I would recommend a static start so that you can train the body to learn that correct starting position. That way, if you ever wanted to change to a dynamic start, you're body naturally will start to lift the bar when you're in the correct position without throwing anything off.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Chad Gibbons 04-05-2014 05:53 AM

Thanks Blake. Love being able to get help here, not sure where else I would go to get advice. I guess my next question would be how do you know when you're ready for the dynamic start? I don't have a coach available to work with so will I just have to make a judgement call on that?

Blake Barnes 04-06-2014 07:33 PM

That's tough without a coach. Make sure you're absolutely comfortable with your starting position and if you take video of yourself then make sure you're consistent with where your hips and shoulders are when you lift the bar from the floor. I've noticed people sometimes will have their hips higher than usual and lower than usual when they pull and they have no idea they're doing it so taking video is a good tool.