Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Off season, pre-season and in-season workout templates (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91)

Mark Joseph Limbaga 10-17-2006 03:48 AM

Off season, pre-season and in-season workout templates

Question for Coaches Greg Everett and Robb Wolf:

I've been a big fan of CF ever since I heard of it early this year and have applied its methods to my athletes with great success. Now, I was just wondering how you would break down a training template for an athlete. Here's my planned template, i do hope you guys can take a look at it and critique

Off season: focus on skill and s&c development.
S&C workouts: ME black box, scaled down CF WODs, Tabata intervals and HIIT

Pre-season: Focus on peaking both S&C and skill.
S&C workouts: EDT type workouts and CF benchmark WODS

In-season: maintenance of all skills, S&C acquired
S&C workouts: O-lifts and variants, BW exercises.

Steve Shafley 10-17-2006 05:19 AM

What kinds of athletes are you working with Mark? Or, if this is for yourself, what sport(s) do you compete in?

In general, I feel that off-season should focus on maximal strength development, and improving the deficits that the previous season revealed.

Pre-season should be honing specific skills and conditioning

In-season needs to maintain things and prevent injuries.

Greg Everett 10-17-2006 08:31 AM

I second Steve.

Off-season is the time to throw in the most demanding strength and conditioning work because you have no competition to be ready for. So you'll see higher volume and intensity. As Steve said, you also should be focusing on weaknesses, i.e. if your metabolic conditioning is already great, spend less time on that and work more strength elements.

Pre-season will shift more into sport-specific training/skill work, and S&C will be reduced only enough to allow this.

In-season will be pretty limited S&C and lots of active recovery work, but only because you need to always be fresh for competition.

The way I look at it is that you want to do as much as possible all the time--but you can't do it all, so you just add/subtract based on priorities. There will also be a lot of individual variation in terms of how much work someone can handle in the different parts of the season, so some degree of experimentation will be necessary to maximize the results.

Robb Wolf 10-17-2006 11:37 AM

Mark-
Welcome to the forum!

I second (3rd?) what Steve said. Off-season I'd really work on max effort strength and use skill sessions to shore up metcon. Folks with body comp issues or who lack conditioning to handle this workload may need a few weeks of ramp up using classic WOD's. Following a conjugate method here or cycling blocks of 5x5 @ 75% for 2-3 weeks (accumulation phase) and schemes like 8x3, 10x1-2 for 2-3 weeks for an intensification phase. Also be aggressive in pre/rehab. Lots of foam rolling, trigger point work and dealing with ANY injuries.

Preseason shifts to increased metcon and skill work (harder pad work, more sparring) with strength work shifting to maintenance. ME-BB is PERFECT for this and if you are concerned about recovery minimize eccentric loading on the metcons. Stick with box jumps, sprints, push presses in preference to thrusters, swings and high volume/load movements.

In season shift to strength maintenance with 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps at 80-85% 2 days per week on a gross lower body movement, press and pull. Use metcon post skill sessions (short circuits<10 min if loads of sparring occurs). Longer metcons can occur at other times and should time index the event being prepped for (3min rounds/1 min rest for example). Be ready to taper this training 7-10 days from competition. If the skill base is FIRMLY established, using a monostructural element like a row, run or even something like burpees or thrusters to create extreme fatigue and then throwing the person into a sparring session can be amazingly beneficial. Again time index rounds including the time spent on rower, thruster etc.

The basic CF programming is solid but a little preplanning, particularly in the off-season, can really bring up weaknesses and address injuries.

Mark Joseph Limbaga 10-17-2006 09:37 PM

I'm basically dealing with martial artists, basketball players and some rowers. I already got the off-season and pre-season figured out and just wanted to get a different angle of training. thanks for the opinions tho.

Pierre Auge 10-17-2006 11:17 PM

Mark,
if you don't mind me interjecting here I have only one point. Time at rest between training and practice is something I don't really see tossed around much, anywhere really. A good practice I have found with new or stubborn athletes if you have either of these, or even those who are just typically injury prone, is to split the time.

Put some time between training and practice and most often a much higher workload can be maintained particularly in season. Let's say it would look something like this just for shits and giggles:

Day 1
Training
12 hours at rest (work, school, whatever)
Practice

Day2
Training
12 hours at rest (same stuff)
Practice

and so on, use your jugdement as a coach as you get closer to competitive days in your schedules by removing whatever aspect of training you feel will hurt absolute performance in competition.

You probably know this stuff hence you being on this particular forum, and among this particular crowd. I pretty much just like to hear myself type though no applicable relevance may exist.

Steve Shafley 10-18-2006 05:01 AM

Basketball players, in particular, need to take a break from pick up games to work on other stuff. Soccer and basketball, in particular, have pick up games that are easy to find, and too much of it is going to pretty much undo anything you do with them, and make them more prone to injury.

Robb Wolf 10-18-2006 11:33 AM

Mark-
If you ever want to share some day to day/cycle-cycle programming that you are using I think that would be super interesting.

Ken Urakawa 10-18-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Shafley (Post 309)
Basketball players, in particular, need to take a break from pick up games to work on other stuff. Soccer and basketball, in particular, have pick up games that are easy to find, and too much of it is going to pretty much undo anything you do with them, and make them more prone to injury.

I won't speak to basketball (being almost 5'8"--in O-lifting shoes), but I'd have to disagree about soccer. The best players I know are the ones who play the game anytime and all the time. Individual ball skills and creativity are emphasized in more casual games. One of the problems with US Soccer (and a lot of other sports, IMHO) is the "professionalization" of youth sports. The players train year-round, always in a structured environment. We haven't produced a Pele or Ronaldinho, partly because our best athletes play money sports, but mostly because those players grew up playing in the streets constantly.

Anyway, I'll cut this short and get off my rant now, while I'm still welcome here...

Steve Shafley 10-18-2006 07:28 PM

That could be, Ken. I think probably as much as 95% of youth soccer S&C is botched, maybe even closer to 99%.

Hockey is another sport where I see absolutely stupid stuff.

Basketball has a completely different culture attached to it.