Thread: Snatch Help
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Tamara Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Haug View Post
Taking both of your words of advice, I did a snatch workout today focusing on super slow pulls. Worked up to a 176 snatch (a previous PR for me) very easily and decided to go for the 186, which has been a goal for some time. The pull on this is much faster than my previous lifts of the night, but it felt good going up. I think I'm able to get under the bar a little more balanced due to not toeing so much.

This video is the 186 lb attempt, featuring a clumsy escape from the failed lockout. Got it up no problem but the overhead position, whether due to weakness or confidence (I was picturing Matthias Steiner prior to the go, probably not a good idea in hindsight), didn't lock and my foot went wonky.

As far as strengthening the overhead position, specifically the moment of lockout, is there anything other than snatch balances or drop snatches that I should be specifically focusing on in technique training? As far as confidence in the lockout goes (I feel like the above lift was mine and I sissied out), I guess just working with close to but still sub maximal (like 85-90% heavy singles) is a good idea?

Thanks again.
Watching that miss in slo-mo, you basically got the bar behind you without ever having your elbows locked. Nice bail, though.

We prioritize aggression on the lockout over everything else... because if you don't lockout, you cannot make the lift. Whereas, you can do all sorts of funky things at the hip and the floor and still have a legal and safe lockout. To drill that, I like having lifters use a weight that is maybe 80% of max and just focus on speed from the hip to lockout. Their entire goal is to be faster from the hip to lockout than they thought possible.

We don't really use snatch balances or drop snatches for that purpose simply because it's a different motion... the bar is already behind you and you don't have to pull it into place.

If someone had shoulder stability or strength issues that were impacting lockout, then I'd do some other things, but unless you tell me you are constantly dropping snatches on your head, I don't think that's a problem for you.

I am not saying that this necessarily would have helped in this situation, but I'd tell you to make smaller jumps once you get to PR weights. Jumping from 176 to 186 is over 5%, which is a big deal on the snatch when you're at max weights.
Tamara Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote