View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Hunter Laing

Default gymnastics and oly

Hey all. I'm starting up this log because I had a scare recently that I would lose my excel file where I log my workouts when my computer crashed. Luckily I was able to retrieve the data, but I'm still gunna log online too as a back up.

Goals right now are a 135# snatch, 185# clean, 10 sec adv tuck front lever, and a 10 sec tuck planche, and a strict, slow muscle up on rings.

I started with the olympic lifts on May 14, 2013, with my max lifts at a 95# power snatch(I was unable to get into an ohs to catch the full lift) and a 125# clean and jerk.

This friday I hit 125# on the snatch and 180# on the clean, and I'm working with 15 sec sets of tuck front levers and band assisted planches. I've been working these gymnastic progressions for 3 weeks so far, and I've been following the outlaw way to some degree for my oly lifting, a couple weeks behind, since the start of the hatch squat cycle. Before that I used the Catalyst Starter Program.

Sun 9-8-13

am - SASa1

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. wall assisted tuck half press HS - 5 x 3
A2. tuck front lever hold - 5 x 15 sec

Press HSs felt good, focusing on getting as much of my low back off the wall at the bottom of the rep while still maintaining good control. The tuck front lever holds also felt strong. I have been focusing on keeping my scaps depressed during the movement by trying to make my neck as long as possible, and today working on this turned some of the sets into almost a flat tuck position, so my 10 sec adv tuck front lever shouldn't be far off.

B1. band assisted tuck planche - blue x 5 x 15 sec
B2. knees to elbows - 5 x 10

The band assisted tuck planches felt strong today, staying focused on strong protraction, and keeping the neck long to help with depression. My hips have been getting a little high in these so it might be time to use a lighter band. Knees to elbows were kinda shit today, as by the ends of the sets I was pulling too much with my arms and back and ending in almost a front lever position, which isn't my goal with this movement.

C1. YTWLs - 5s x 1 x 5, 3s x 2 x 5

First time trying these. They were fun, got a nice burn in my upper back. Will keep these in the mix on straight arm days.

e.pm - SASb1

joints
wrists
scaps

A1. rto support - 5 x 15 sec
A2. arch scap pulls - 5 x 7

Ring supports are finally getting easier with the rings turned out, focusing hard on having elbows completely extended on these. Bumped the reps up from 6 to 7 on the arch scap pulls, but I need to remember to keep my neck long and really force my head backwards.

B1. low straddle L - 5 x 15 sec
B2. german hang with pull out - 5 x 15 sec

I need a better place to do my low straddle L's so I can work on getting my hands facing forward instead of sideways, but other than that these felt fine, just need more compression flexibility. The german hangs felt good too, I'm finally started to feel my shoulders loosen up on these.

I was gunna do false grip hangs and some wall handstand holds but the workout was cut short by some family drama.
Hunter Laing is offline   Reply With Quote