View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Daly View Post
Whenever I squat I feel mild pain and stiffness in my left leg's fibular head. If I warm up a lot it subsides somewhat. I was also feeling constant soreness in the middle of my quad near my knee... probably the tendon but after taking a month off this seemed to lighten somewhat but the pain/stiffness with my fibular head (or near it but it feels like it's the head) is always present unless I warm up. Aside from the pain it feels like there's something resisting my squat depth as I break parallel. I'll try to add a video of my squat later tonight but until then I squat with feet shoulder width and turned out a bit. I shove my knees out and follow the general queue's. If anyone's heard of a similar situation or experienced this themselves please share ty :P
Your squat depth is fine. It's breaking parallel which is enough. You're hips and hams are very tight, which is why of you go deeper, you're going to lose tension in your back. If you want to go deeper, you can do that safely but it will take time to loosen those structures which are currently really tight.

As for the pain, I've had a similar condition. If it's the same thing, you might be looking at some variation of ITBS. You a runner or cyclist with any regularity?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

For me, it stemmed from hip dysfunction, really tight hamstrings and overuse.