View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Tom Brown III

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the post and great question.

I've only been lifting for a little over a year. And I'm mature, past my prime... fuck it just getting old. For me it's a matter of performing the lifts as clean and perfect as possible. Although I'm not likely to move mountains like Klokov or Ilya or Wang MingJuan I may move like them... with time. That's the thing for me.

I'm still living high on the beginners progression putting kg on my lifts every month. My flexibility seems to improve with every workout. Every time my hips explode into the bar and propel it just to that perfect point in space where apogee intersects with the only thing that would stop it from crashing down - me; I know everything is right. I did that. This system of mind, bone, sinew, flesh , neurons interceded to create a singular-contrary event. There is no feeling like it... better than sex and it lasts longer (at my age-kidding).

So what I'm saying, Brandon is do the lifts, learn them correctly and do them to full depth. You deserve no less. It's only a matter of patience and time before your body adapts to the new positions and movement. Patience is the hardest because, be it ego or pride, you will want to put more weight on the bar before you're ready. Resist this and take you time. You'll progress faster if you avoid a layoff due to an injury you incur due to hubris.

Finally, consider this excerpt from Charles Bukowski's "Roll the Dice"

"if you’re going to try,
go all the way.
there is no other feeling like
that.
you will be alone with the gods
and the nights will flame with
fire.

do it, do it, do it.
do it.

all the way
all the way.