View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Elliott,

I think you should go ahead and execute your plan. Your numbers, in theoretical relation to each other (front squat to clean), are "normal." If you've identified the need to increase in leg strength (good for you), then your plan will help you. There are a couple of things that you need to be aware of:

1. Make sure your technique is solid. No 1RM is going to look super pretty, especially in the squat, but if you're just completely off, then you need to revisit your form.

2. Listen to your body. A lot of times, it's mind over matter. You'll feel achy because that's just a side effect of what we do. Learn the difference between pain and injury, educate yourself on recovery techniques (Pendlay and Poliquin have some great tips), and remember to not get ahead of yourself. Numbers don't just magically jump up; they take time, and waiting for that time to come takes patience. Keep putting in the work and pushing yourself when you can, and you'll get there. When you feel completely beat to shit, then take do of those older "lighter" volume days for your recovery. Again, recovery starts the moment you finish your workout until the next time you touch a bar -- make it count.

3. Don't expect your classic lift numbers to jump simultaneously with your squat. You WILL see an improvement in your squat (if you follow point #2), but don't get frustrated when your snatch or clean and jerk aren't necessarily jumping up, too. For example, I was someone who could triple front squat 20 kilos more than I could actually clean and jerk (in theory, if you can triple front squat it, you're supposed to be able to clean it). It wasn't strength, so what was it? I revisited my technique and got that gap closed up. It's still not where I want it to be, but there was much less of a gap. My point here is to NOT forget about your technique. Your legs will be more tired than usual, so it's extra important that you pay particular attention to your lifts.

4. Ask yourself these questions: Am I setting up differently? Am I pulling off the ground any different to compensate? How's my recovery out of lower intensity lifts? Do I feel fast? For squats, ask yourself questions in regards to the squat, but be careful to not psyche yourself out. All these will guide you to choosing the right weight. This is why training cycles are usually either/or: you either focus on heavy strength training and keep the classic lift intensity down, or you have a heavy classic lift wave with lower volume squats (not necessarily lighter). The important thing here is that you don't forget to PROPERLY train your classic lifts in conjunction with seeking more leg strength.

I may have other things for you to think about in the future, but I agree with pushing it when you can -- just be prepared to intelligently compensate somewhere down the road so you can realize your truest potential during this cycle. I hope this helps you.

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote