View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Matt Foreman

Reduced volume and intensity is going to be one of the main keys for coming back from this. Back in 1996, I had quadriceps tendonitis that basically stopped me from lifting. I could barely sit down in a full bottom position with a broomstick on my back, probably the worst training pain I've ever had. I took some time off after the American Open (where I made it a lot worse) and didn't do anything but ice and gentle stretch, no real lifting at all except for upper body stuff and abs. Then, when I came back to training, I set up a three month slow progression to get back to my top lifts in time for the next Nationals. My best lifts at the time were 145 SN and 177.5 C&J, and I made myself start with 50 and 70 in the first week back after the rest period. Then I basically just increased a little each week, like this:
- Week 1- 70/90
- Week 2- 80/100
- Week 3- 90/110
- Week 4- 100/120

And so forth. I got back to 100% in three months, and then started setting new PRs in the following months. Depending on how severe the tendonitis is, you might have a look at it as a long-term project to recover from. After I did this, the tendonitis never came back and I had my best two-year period of lifting immediately following it.
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote