10-21-13
MUa1

am - SASa1

joints
wrist stretches
scaps

A1. tri lat ext stretch - 15# x 3 x 20 sec
A2. double toe pull HS body line wall drill - 3 x 5

Every upper body session will be started with this EQ combo. I have read several places that handstands need lots of frequent practice, and since I have other goals I care about more than HS at the moment, I haven't been making as much progress because I was only doing two EQ sessions a week. For this next cycle, I'll be doing this 8 times a week, which will be a huge bump up in my HS practice.

This felt really good today. The first set was a little sketchy, the second set was better, with one or two good holds, and the third set was solid.

B1. band assisted tuck planche hold - red x 5 x 12 sec
B2. arch scap pull - 5 x 3 pulls to 4 sec hold each

Went back up to the red band today for the planche, but it still isn't feeling as strong as I remember it being before. However, on one set, I had a really good mind-muscle connection to my scaps and could really focus on pushing my whole shoulder girdle away from the floor; this was the strongest feeling set today.

On the arch scap pulls, I would pull into the arch scap hang and hold for 4 sec, then drop down to a hang and repeat two more time. This felt really solid through the first couple sets, but by the end the retraction/depression was getting hard to hold with completely straight arms and I was swinging a little in the arch scap hang holds.

C1. lower through BL to GH pull - 5sec BL/5 sec GH x 3 x 3
C2. RTO support hold - 3 x 15 sec

This was a pretty fun combo, and I think it will be really good at conditioning the elbows for further straight arm work. Also got a huge bicep pump.

D1. YTWL's - 3# x 5 x 5

Something in my left shoulder was a little tweaked when doing the T movement with certain hand positions, so I stuck with the ones that didn't aggravate it. I'll be paying close attention to my left shoulder because I have just reintroduced jerks into my training, and they have messed it up in the past. If it keeps getting worse, I'll drop the jerks and go back to just working cleans.

E1. wrist conditioning

F1. band shoulder series

______

pm - OLY

joints
foam roll
band squat mob
band shoulder series

A1. Snatch
b x 4
30 x 4
40 x 4
42.5 x 4
45 x 3 x 4

These were rough today. My legs were still a little sore from Friday, and I was having a hard time getting into a good starting position and I had no leg drive. My first and second pull were feeling really wonky as well. At 45, I started getting under the bar really fast; I had to because I had no leg drive and no explosiveness, but that was kind of the point to doing 4 rep sets; it was just a little more intense than I thought it would be today. I moved my grip a little wider because it felt like I was no longer getting the bar into my hips, but I think I was also not sweeping it very well. Still have lots to work on for the snatch...

My low back was also on fire during these. This is the first time I have ever felt my low back during snatches at all, so maybe I'm doing something right.

B1. Clean and Jerk
45 x 3
50 x 3
55 x 3
60 x 2 x 3

By the time I got to these my low back was pretty much done, so the weights stayed light today. My jerk form has gotten a lot better with the new jerk starting position, and the bar isn't going nearly as forward, if at all. I also got a compliment from one of the coaches on my self-coached clean and jerk form. =)

C1. Front Squat
b x 6
40 x 6
50 x 6
60 x 6 x 6

Wrapped up my left quad right above the knee with an ace bandage today, even though it wasn't feeling tweaked at all, just to be safe and to try and recreate the feeling I had with the back squats on Friday. It worked pretty well. I had no knee twinges throughout the work sets, and I was able to "chuanfu" pretty effectively with both legs. I didn't actually feel my leg muscles working as much as I did with the back squats on Friday, but that could be because I did much lower rep sets.

D1. foam roll
D2. band squat mob
D3. band shoulder series
Hunter Laing is offline   Reply With Quote