View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
Vythand Alagappan

Default "Shins vertical"

I think the root cause of my knee pain is that I'm letting them come too far forward when I squat or catch which is putting a lot of strain on the meniscus. So today is going to be a skill day really focusing on keeping my shins vertical. I've seen the horrific results of poor squatting (i.e. total knee replacements) and I really don't want it to lead to issues down the line so I'm going to improve my technique now rather than later. I also want to experiment with training early in the morning (6:15) because I think that will be the most convenient thing once classes start. Also I think I am going to back off of the weight a little bit but only as much as I need to to reinforce the technique practice that I do today. Now that my mobility is good enough to support the positions that I need to get into I need to improve my motor patterns. So yes, it is a step back weight wise, but I think it will pay dividends in the long run. Hopefully by the end of this cycle my technique will be at a point that I'm happy with.

Skill work will focus on squatting motor patterns and on receiving the bar with shins vertical. Should last about an hour.
Vythand Alagappan is offline   Reply With Quote