View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Brian Turchioe

Default Explosive Squats

I've been working a lot lately on building a good strength base and as I watch a lot of videos online and use various reading materials I have realized that I would really like to improve the explosiveness of my squats. You can see a lot of videos of elite level lifters doing 200-250+ kg squats for doubles and triples with great explosiveness out of the whole and maintaining virtually perfect back posture. I assume a good portion of this is due to the fact that they are likely using sub-maximal weights, but even so I think it would be very beneficial for my training to try and work on building explosiveness with heavy squats. I have read some articles on T-nation about utilizing pause squats, weighted box jumps, depth jumps, and speed squats to build explosiveness. My question to the forum is which of these are most beneficial and should be utilized by an beginner/intermediate lifter such as myself? Are there other movement variations I should consider? How would one implement these movements into a traditional routine ie do an entire pause squat cycle or tack on a couple working sets of pause squats on the end of a squat day?

To give you an idea of where I am at progress-wise I'll give you a quick run down of my current 1RM (lbs):
BS - 385
FS - 315
Clean - 285
Jerk Blocks - 270
C&J - 260
Snatch - 205
DL - 455

Also I'm about 5'10" and 185 lbs

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

-Brian
Brian Turchioe is offline   Reply With Quote