View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

I'm wondering if we're actually addressing what Alan is concerned about...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O'Donnell View Post
I've been thinking lately about how to use overhead squats in my training. Basically, my situation is that my OHS is relatively (I think, correct me if I'm wrong here), very good compared to my front squat and back squat. For whatever reason, I have good squat mechanics - my air squat and my OHS are both very upright - which seems to mute the balance/core strength issues that most people have.
What is the reason you want to include OHS in your training? Is it for reaching certain #s in the OHS (BW x 15reps, for example) or are you trying to improve your OL?
Quote:
I weigh about 182, and a few days ago got 185x5 for OHS. I think that was my fifth day ever trying them, and had previously only tried 165x1. For comparison I'm guessing my FS is around 245ish (I've only tried 225x2 I think, a couple weeks ago), and my LBBS is around 335.
Well, doing BW x 5reps your fifth time out is pretty darn good. I wouldn't say you're deficient in it at this point.
Quote:
My intuitive sense so far is that the limiting factors on my OHS are my wrists and my ability to BTN jerk the weight overhead - if I can get it up there without breaking my delicate hands off I can probably squat it Balance/core strength doesn't seem to be an issue - I guess because I'm so upright, it's just not very hard to balance the bar once it's overhead. On the 185x5 I was never in danger of bailing, my legs just got tired.
If you're well built and prepared (proprioceptive/biomechanics/strength) for the OHS, you're looking to the wrong exercise for a "core workout".
Quote:
So, what exactly am I gaining by working on my OHS?
I don't know exactly. What do you want to gain from it?
Quote:
I feel like I would be better off just bumping up my FS a bunch, and working on my weak pressing strength.
I agree, and still stand behind my initial post on the things I'd use, unless you want to stick with barbell-based exercises.
Quote:
More generally, assuming you already have good mechanics, are OHSs "redundant" (ie would you be better off doing more basic lifts)?
Redundancy depends on your goals. Probably redundant if you are going for higher OL numbers. Weightlifters don't train OHS very much.
Quote:
Or am I just not going heavy enough to get the intended core workout?
The shoulders, wrists, and/or legs will likely give out before you qualitatively feel a "core workout".
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote