View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Tom,
Finally got the vid to play. Good work and you are doing very well. Stay the course, work on technique and you'll be well served.

I don't have a problem with the sitting back in the front squat and receiving the power cleans. The biggest issue I see is that your driving the bar into the jerk without your hands in control of the bar. You're not regaining control of the bar until it's above head height and that's causing a lot of instability and the likely pain your suffering.

I can only speak for myself. I'm not a little guy I go 112 to 115 kilos at 5'10" and I'm "dense" in more ways than one. And, like you, I have a short, if nonexistent, neck. As such, the area we recieve the clean, or our "rack", is a bit different than longer necked folks. We will catch more on the adam's apple than longer neck folk and we have to accept it. But, with that said, I have to respontion the bar from my rack to get ready for the jerk.

In doing that, I do the following:
1. I jump the weight up off my shoulders;
2. I reposition my hands outward on the bar while the bar is off the rack;
3. My palms touch the bar and my elbows go to a lower position than when I received the bar in the clean - the rack is still present as I have my front delts forward; From an elbow position standpoint, the recieving position has my arms pretty close to parallel to the floor. When I reposition my elbows here, my elbows are a 45 degree angle to the floor.
4. I then inhale deeply.
5. Hold breah.
6. I dip
7. As I drive upwards, I further rotate under the bar. My elbows are underneath the bar as I jump it off the rack.

I hope this makes sense and I hope it helps. Good luck and keep up the great work.

All the best,
Arden