View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
Been reading up a bit, and it seems the general consensus is that uni-lateral work like B Split Aquats is not very good for increasing one's squat.

For rehab purposes, would it be useful then to also include a lighter weight squat day in my routine? Perhaps around 65% of my max and focus on speed?

The idea behind my routine is basically to unload the lower back but keep making strength progress. Thanks for the responses.

Also: what are the pros/cons of barefoot squatting?
Only if you can squat correctly. If you don't, then no. If you can squat correctly with a light weight, then no reason not to.

Barefoot squatting is dumb depending on the type of squat, at least in my opinion. A high bar, Olympic style back squat or front squat is going to be restricted by ankle mobility. The raised heel helps alleviate this and aid in achieving depth.

In addition, a shoe with a stiff sole like Chucks or an Oly shoe depending on the type of squatting add more stability than barefoot squatting does.

Eric Cressey makes sense in this post.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote