View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Richard,

My training partner is actually in a similar situation. He's roughly the same age as you and, while he's a retired US Marine after 20 years of service, he does have a very young son and another child on the way. He's a stay-at-home dad that works out when he drops off his son at school, which only started recently. Before that, he would train whenever he got the chance. His method was to really break down his training days to what best suited his needs and recovery. He keeps his workouts to about 1 hour. You can check his blog where he posts all his workouts here: www.bisonbarbellclub.blogspot.com.

You have to look at a couple of things: how much time do you have? How many days? What's your recovery looking like?

I think you would benefit a wide range of programs available out there. Obviously, you want one that will focus on technique work as you continue to progress since you're relatively new. That focus shouldn't really waiver, in my opinion, as you continue to get better. As you get stronger, so should your technique continue to get better. Remember, perfect practice makes perfect. You're going to have your strengthening exercises (squats, snatch/clean pulls and deadlifts, push presses, etc.) that will complete your technique development (snatch, clean and jerk, and different variations, such as off of blocks, power, or hang). Since you're new, your total will see it's most dramatic improvements given that you continue to lift with proper technique. I also recommend lifting with a quality coach or club that provides good feedback.

Most training programs throw all this stuff together. They might look something like this:
  • Classic lift # 1
  • Classic lift # 2
  • Classic lift pull
  • Squat
  • Pressing
  • Perhaps some assistance movement, like an Romanian DL or stiff-legged DL

It looks like a lot, and that's exactly my training partner's sentiments. He doesn't have time to break that up into two sessions, nor does he have the ability to recover quite as well if he were to execute all those lifts in one day. What he decided to do was break that list down into two separate days. He continues to get stronger and is very happy with his progress. I admire his ability to get stronger and more proficient.

Again, if you want, take a look at his blog and see how he's breaking his days down. If you want, you can contact him to talk more about his approach since you guys share a very similar situation. He's extremely approachable and a very good friend of mine. I can't say enough about him. Most of the time, the best way to get knowledge is by talking and surrounding yourself with similar athletes and sharing experiences. After that, it's up to you to determine what works best for you! Remember to listen to your body and adjust your program to meet your needs.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I'll do my best to answer as well as I possibly can. I think Greg will agree with me on what I wrote (at least I hope) should he read this. He also has a list of training programs that are excellent.

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote