View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Richard,

No problem! Please, call me Javi -- I get enough of that at work.

Yeah, it does look volume heavy, but he's shortened it down to manageable time frames. He has deload weeks incorporated into his schedule before he starts to feel uber-sluggish. I figured you'd enjoy reading his blog since both of you share the experience of starting at a later age. He started about a year and a half ago at the age of 40. The progress he's made amazes me, and I attribute my passion for weightlifting to him. He got me started by inviting me over on Saturday mornings to train with him. Now, we train regularly together, and his motivation and intensity are contagious. We feed off each other and it makes for a great training session. We scour books, material, and videos for new knowledge -- something I sense you're doing as well. Don't be afraid to ask him any questions you might have about his training approach -- I'm sure he can help you!

Don't feel bad about asking the same questions over and over. You need to ask and absorb all the information you possibly can, then pick what works best for you. Like you mentioned, you need to find that "nugget." I'm hardly as knowledgeable as most of the other people here, but thank you for the kind words.

Lastly, don't say that your lifts aren't "post-worthy." They're fantastic! You power cleaned a weight that many people crumble under -- it was practically a muscle clean. The fact that you post your videos on here for feedback is a testament to your steadfast character. You have to remember that EVERYONE started somewhere, some even with just a dowel or the bar. Your accomplishments thus far are a tribute to your dedication to a sport that people literally spend their entire lives trying to perfect. It's more impressive that you're starting now and determined to make yourself as good as you possibly can -- truly an inspiration. Be proud of what you've done. Cheers, my friend!

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote