Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Steve Shafley

Default The Beauty of the SSB

Rick Walker, of Diesel Crew fame, told me to try SSB squats with the yoke pointing backwards when the bar is racked.

I hit 355x3, then this occurred at 405.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o2bgi01YpU

What happens when you squat with the bar in that position is that it places the weight even further out in front of you, and the bar is actively trying to push you into a face plant.

I can immediately see the value of using the bar like this.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Jeff Northrop

Well, I for one, am glad to see you are still alive since that video ends with you flat on the ground, and it was pretty scary to see you let go of the bar completely. Yikes!

Is the purpose of the yolk to get the bar higher off your shoulders?
Jeff Northrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Steve Shafley

You can actually use the bar without your hands. You can get handles that fit on your rack so you can seriously overload the movement. The yoke really is supposed to help with that.

I should really have the damn safety pins higher for that one. That's the first time I've had to dump the SSB like that.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Interesting video, would you want to use a lighter load in general if it's pushing you forward during the squat?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
Steve Shafley

I had hit 355x3 in the previous set, and erroneously thought I'd be able to handle 405.

As you can see, the self spotting technique I use, i.e. putting my hands down and pushing up, didn't work. This was because as soon as I took my hands off the yokes, the bar began to rotate the yokes into me, due to the levers, and forced me forward.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
Pierre Auge

LOL HA HAHA HAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA - Steve my friend I'm glad you're ok but that was absolutely HI-larious! For some reason I find pleasure in your near death experiences. Seriously I'm glad you're ok that could have ended badly...

- pins higher for sure -

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
Mark Fenner

Steve,

I'm not sure, but that's what I consider "normal" position for the yolk (weights on your back, handles go from back to front -- at least that's what I saw in the video).

I've always done SSB squats onto a box, but I also use handles on the rack for self-spotting. Yolk stays on the shoulders by itself; you grab handles to your front left and front right. You try not to pull yourself up, but if you get in trouble the handles are there and it really let's you _sit back_ since your hands are counter-balancing your backward fall. Your hands can also prevent a forward collapse from loosing tension in your back. Overall, a good way to squat without spotters around to help you. The rack has to be pinned down though, or else you, the rack, and the weight are all going for a ride *yikes*.

Regards,
Mark

PS I'm glad we can chuckle at what happened; I'm glad you're ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Rick Walker, of Diesel Crew fame, told me to try SSB squats with the yoke pointing backwards when the bar is racked.

I hit 355x3, then this occurred at 405.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o2bgi01YpU

What happens when you squat with the bar in that position is that it places the weight even further out in front of you, and the bar is actively trying to push you into a face plant.

I can immediately see the value of using the bar like this.
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
Robb Wolf

THAT was hairball!

Greg Everett was doing fanny to ankles squats with like 335...popped his hips up and he started driving forward as in the video....only no safety racks. Somehow he rolled the whole operation off his back, ducked his head under the bar and came back to successfully squat the weight the next set. I don't think my ass-pucker-factor (APF) decreased for like a week.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #9
Pierre Auge

Robb - you and your acronyms, APF thats nice!

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote