Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Max Bernosky

Default 225 snatch tweaks - more advice?

Hi again,

So last week I was losing 225 forward. This week I lost it backwards a bunch. I tried putting the ass lower, and grabbing a little wider. After seeing this video, I see I need to put the ass even lower AND still grab even wider.

Is there anything else standing out after I did these tweaks?

It feels really light on the pull but feels like its crushing me on the catch. Should I grind out some over head squats or something? Snatch balances?

Thanks
Max Bernosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Ben McClure

I would try and get into a bit more hip extension on the second pull. Slightly leaning back (not through excessive lumbar extension) to get the bar path moving up rather than out.It looks as there's a bit of a loop, so when you're trying to catch the bar at the bottom the bar is still moving backwards. Also keep tension in your lats to keep that bar close to you. Your upper back looks locked up, so get working on some thoracic mobility drills, which will help with your shrug due to more room for the shoulder capsule and scapula to move freely, hence improving your pulls. Hope this helps!
Ben McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Javier Sanjuan

Location: Originally from Queens, NY; live in Manhattan, KS (Army Captain)

Max,

In all honesty, your snatch looks exactly the same. I can't make out any tweaks, if any at all. You need to really spend some time correcting your faults before you can attack PRs. I know you don't want to hear that, but sometimes we need to take one step backwards before we can take two forward.

Your previous thread had some people give you some great technique work to focus on. I suggest doing them for a period of time. One day, one week, maybe even one month won't be enough time to fix your issues. Being disciplined enough to dial it down during that block of time to correct those flaws will pay huge dividends later on.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I'm here to help.

Best,
Javi

Dear God, please help me lift heavy and be awesome. Thanks. Amen.
Javier Sanjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Max Bernosky

I thought this would be the case but I went out on a limb thinking that there might be different issues if I'm losing it back now instead of forward.

Thanks!
Max Bernosky is offline   Reply With Quote